This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 10-14-2007   #1
kampfhahn

Default Critique needed, environment: parachuits and labyrinth

Hello everybody,

in june I started to paint a picture for the Gnomon contest (Labyrinth) but didn't find the time to finish it since I was busy with my highschool diploma/a-level. One month ago I finally took some time and finished it. Now it is one of my favourite pictures of mine. That's why I want to improve it. The thing is, people keep telling me the parachutes look like pumpkins. So I googled it up and drew a whole in the middle. I don't like that new version so much and now they say the parachutes look like tangerines... and they are right, damn!
I don't manage to let those parachutes look like parachutes, what do I do wrong?

I'm thankful for hints!
Ju

Last edited by kampfhahn; 10-16-2007 at 13:18 PM.
kampfhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #2
SBurg

Awards Showcase

Default Pumpkins look like parachutes

Ok so your parachutes do really look like pumpkins - the easy thing to do would be to make them a different color - like yellow. And I think a real parachute wouldn't have such a dimple on the top - the area around near the top is a darker orange and so it looks like it curves in. I think you should paint them all more circular - and if i were you I would add a monkey to the picture - people LOVE a monkey...

good luck
SBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #3
kraal

it is october so pumpkins are on peoples minds. the color is the first step... also the parachute you are illustrating look more like ones you use while jet skying not sky diving.
kraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
kampfhahn

In this case, colour and form change is a big no-no! So I took Scott's advice and painted them more circular. To me they look more believable now. Thank you two for your help!

Here's a monkey for you, Scott

By the way, congrats for the first place, your entry is great!

kampfhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #5
SBurg

Awards Showcase

Default Way more parachutey

Yeah that looks much less like a pumpkin, but as already mentioned above - it's close to Halloween and people have pumpkins on the mind.

Now all you have to do is convince Mr. Alvarez to theme a contest "people doing things with parachutes over mazes" and you have your entry all ready to go

thanks for the monkey
SBurg is offline   Reply With Quote