This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 10-14-2007   #1
P.Y.R.O.

Default Gnomon Portfolio_help needed.

Hello friends.

3 months from now i made an application for an admission in to Gnomon school of Visual effects for High end CG certificate program, but i was rejected on the basis that i was not good in traditional art and i was not good in sketching and my sketches looked cartoony.
I was told that i do not qualify the Gnomon standards.

Gnomon told me that they accept the best animation students and students with good art background from all over the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that!!
------------------

I planned to take sketching classes and worked hard as much as i could as entering Gnomon is one of my dream. I remade my portfolio. So now the point is like i have seen many ppl here which are from gnomon and are doing the HECG certificate program. So i would like to share my portfolio with everyone here and would like to have some help from you and I need some crits on what is lacking and what I can do more. I don't have time only one day. I'll be sending my portfolio on 16th Oct-07.

Here is what I have got so far for my portfolio that i'll be presenting to Gnomon.

By the way do you guys have any idea if they are accepting applications for HECG for next year ( i think january )

Last edited by P.Y.R.O.; 10-14-2007 at 02:58 AM.
P.Y.R.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #2
DeSoto

Exclamation Hmm...

Hi P.Y.R.O.,

though I wish you all the best for your application, I'm afraid your portfolio doesn't offer enough to convince them.

You clearly focused on character creation, which is good cause it's a vital part of animation. The problem I see first and foremost in all of your sketches is that the shadows are sometimes way off and generally inconsistent.
In the first example I couldn't tell the exact direction of light, cause if the light source was in front of the figure like the shadow is indicating, it's back should've been way darker and the objects / structures on the sides would have to match that. Same goes for the second figure, if the left arm is lit the left leg has to be lit as well, cause both body parts have the same orientation towards the light source on the left.
I'd highly recommend you to take a look at the three-part series on shading planar/round/complex objects by Scott Robertson. In this series he covers almost anything you need to know about technical shadow construction. Btw, I'm in no way affiliated with Gnomon, I just found these particular DVDs invaluable for my work.

The second problem is, that your portfolio doesn't give the slightest hint about your architectural / vehicle drawing skills. These fields are equally important and can sometimes be even more difficult than figure drawing, cause you have to adhere to the given forms, with every small mistake immediately visible to the audience.

Regarding the portfolio itself, just take a look at http://www.gnomon3d.com/high-end_cg.html, there you'll find all the information about how many pieces should be in there and in what form. Also take into consideration to include some finished images based on your sketches, as they seem to be interested into this "creation process" of yours.

If I take a look at the total cost of the program, which either is 43k (full-time) or 46k (part-time, as it may take longer to complete) and compare that to your current artistic level, I'd highly advise you to save the money (for now) and invest it in some Gnomon DVDs and some art class courses anywhere near you. Then try to beef up your overall skill, mainly in respect to technical construction (as that is the core of 3D animation) and review your achievements after maybe 12 or 18 months. Then decide again whether you're ready for this.

Anyway, all the best for your future endeavours, whatever it may be...

Last edited by DeSoto; 11-04-2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Formating issues
DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote