This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 07-10-2007   #1
theincredibleandy

Default I hope you like art!

My name's Andrew Murray, and I'm an illustrator/concept artist. I've been around on other forums, but this is my first post here. I hope you like the work, and check out my website if you want to see some more stuff.

These first ones are old, but I still like em:

Slightly newer work, back when I was trying to prove to companies that I could do item illustrations:

This was (or will be) an album cover for a christian power metal band called "Jacobs Dream." They're a bunch of friendly guys along the lines of Therion and Sonata Arctica, and it was a blast getting to draw dark stuff for them. It's even on Wikipedia. Now I really am a star! Anyway, their new album will be called "Dominion of Darkness," and you should check them out!

This is a silly self-portrait I did one day. I wanted a new portrait image to decorate my website with, something that would fit more with the work I've been doing. It's still silly, but oh well:

I really want to paint book covers, and I thought that showing brighter colors and multiple people in a focused kind of composition would help make that happen one of these days. I kept making time to work on this in between projects, and I think I learned a lot as a result.

I am a huge fan of artists like Armand Serrano and how they can make show-stopping nature scenes. I tried to make a jungle with as much of that lushness as I could, and while I'm at it show a guy who's not my typical frail wuss dude.

This last one isn't really finished, but I don't think I'm going to do more with it. I think I'd have to go back and basically redo it to get what I was going for, and in that case I should just take my lessons from it and do something new. I still like parts of it, though:

The rest of my work is all NDA'd, so I guess that's all ya get. Sorry As always please PLEASE don't hesitate to point out my shortcomings in my art, cause I like improving In other news, I'll be at the San Diego Comic Con this year, hunting for Art Directors and people with money. See you there?

Last edited by theincredibleandy; 07-12-2007 at 15:41 PM.
theincredibleandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #2
Michal

Awards Showcase

Very, VERY cool work, man The first and the last are my favourites
Michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #3
Alex Hdez.

wow... your work is AMAZING, is very detailed, the last one is very cool, i like the character concept and obviously the way yo paint.

how much time you take to finish one piece?
Alex Hdez. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #4
RQuack

I love the self portrait and the jungle guy pieces. Nice stuff!
RQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #5
theincredibleandy

Thank for the positive feedback, everyone! It's encouraging to hear I'm on the right track.

michal-I kind of agree with you. The first one came together pretty quickly though, whereas the last one (the shaman jungle guy) took forever. Go figure.

Alex Hdez-it's hard to say what my average paint time is. The items were done in a day or two, the prisoner one was about 5 days or so, and the more complex ones like the jungle one and the warrior lady took a long while. It varies, but in general it's slow going.

RQuack-Glad to hear it!

Comments always welcome, and thanks!
theincredibleandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #6
Ambeone

i love the jungle one it seems so logical for a tribesman in the woods to be carrying that sort of equipment with him lamp rope etc yet all other works with the same theme usually show a guy in minimal clothing got Tarzan^^
Ambeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #7
Andre-J

Wow! I ust love this book
Andre-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #8
LFEvans

I love the second one.. the perspective is fantastic.

My onlu crit is the 3rd to the last one... the shadow cast on her cheek looks like she has some strange dirty smudge coming from the side of her mouth.

The rest.. well... very inspiring work.
LFEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #9
shinob1

Talking nice!!

Your drawings are really great, the one with the elf jumping is amazing. im a huge fan of design, i draw on paper and im beginning to learn digital. if i may ask, what program did u use for that drawing?
shinob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #10
chubi

Default awesome

hey, i like your drawings.
especially the jumping elf in the forest.
chubi is offline   Reply With Quote