This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-25-2007   #1
komplex

Default Modeling the Human Head - Grid values and setup

Hi i just recieved the Modeling the human head dvd today, and was very excited to start modeling. I ran into a few problems, a huge one actually. The dvd doesnt state which values on the grid to use, for one instance i scaled up my cube, only to find it was to small. SO i changed to values to inches instead of centimeters, but was to big. What the hell.

Can someone please help me, all i need is the values he used on the dvd:

The Grid Size:

Length and Width:
Grid lines every:
Subdivisons:

At the moment i have

Length and Width:12.
Grid lines every:5.
Subdivisons:5

Many thanks.
komplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007   #2
mike0006

I generally like to model at world scale. Maya defaults to centimeters and I tend to leave it that way but I adjusts my grid to represent inches.

Length and Width: I normally have mine set at 10000
Grid lines every: 30.48 (one foot is 30.48 centimeters)
Subdivisions: 12

Using this approach, you will be modeling everything to a real-world scale but since Maya is using centimeters as a unit, your stuff my be pretty big in units. You will probably have to adjust the clipping plane in your camera. Just crank that one up to 10000, or so, aswell. If you get some wierd artifacts with the clipping plane up that high, try raising your near clipping plane up a decimal point or two.

Good luck with the head modeling DVD, it's one of my favorites.
mike0006 is offline   Reply With Quote