This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 04-23-2007   #1
antonisVFX

Default My first interior scene

Hello people.

I'm relatively new into 3D world, i have discovered Maya less than a year ago and since then i'm trying to get into it.

Below it's an image of my first attempt to make an interior scene. I had the scene modeled since the early stages when i was learning the basics about modeling, and during the weekend i decided to put some textures, and render it . I would like to hear some critics and comments about it since this is the first image i post anywhere, and i would really appreciate your comments and if there is anything i could do to improve the looks of it especially on lighting since thats where i spend most of my time.

For lighting i used mainly maya point lights, some of them light linked, also some GI at low intensity to give me some extra fill light, and an ambient occlusion pass to give some indirect shadows, and of course rendered in mental ray.

thank you people and please feel free to make any comments.

Last edited by antonisVFX; 04-23-2007 at 15:57 PM.
antonisVFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #2
Shaun Tan

Hello antonisVFX,

First of all good effort.

The image could be better if there is a main light source or a few strong pt lights. (You can play with in light multiplier and color) Right now the room looks evenly lit and not very delicious. The arrangement of the sofa make the room looks tad too cramp. Maybe you can try to lower the camera in the scene to eye level, cos the room height looks low now.

My 2 cents.
Shaun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #3
3d_guru

first of all, for interior scene GI+FG is a must IMHO. thing is, if you would like to use only GI for an interior and achieve realistic lighting effects, you'd have to set up your lights to emit millions of photons because at every moment there is vast number of photons in every corner or a room, whether it's dark or not. so you can only take a wild guess on how long it would take for MR to render that kind of expensive scene.

so what does FG does for the GI? Well, you use GI with much less photons than in real life so there are side-effects depicted as those dark spots, smears (call it whatever you like). So then FG comes into play and basically interpolates all the areas eliminating those spots.

about your point lights, point lights are ok to use in some situations, but in this case definately not as a primary light source. You could use them as secondary lights, bringing more light to areas that are too dark, but make sure that you use at least linear type of decay rate as you wouldn't want to them to have effect on the whole scene.

use spot lights as your primary light source with raytrace shadows and at linear+ decay rate.

also, don't use the FG multibouncer when using GI+FG.
3d_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #4
antonisVFX

I want to thank you for your comments guys . Here is another interior scene that i modeled on the fly with less geometry since i wanted to make my life easier when i came to light it. I didn't give much attention to the actual models or shaders and i know they can be improved. I followed your advice to light the scene using GI+FG and i must say that it came out much better than using maya lights, and in less time. I also tried to keep the camera at an eye view level unlike the previous image.

The above image is as it came out of the renderer with an OC pass on top of it.

Please feel free to make any comments.

Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2007   #5
3d_guru

good job this time!

since you've gone so far this time, you might want to enable raytrace shadows for your main light (acting as the sun) because the objects, especially the table look as if it's floating in mid air. also give it a yellow-ish color.

besides that it's pretty good, except the corner above the lantern is too dark. you might wanna add an area light just infront of your window and give it a blue-ish color representing the skylight and raytrace shadows.

keep up
3d_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #6
Shaun Tan

Cool, you are getting there.

Some points to notice:

The image that you use as a scenery outside the window should be brighter in a real life situation and less saturated as it goes further in depth to simulate distance. Try to show abit of the scenery outside behind the curtains too, unless the curtains are totally opaque.

The room looks a bit slanted right now, I didnt use maya before, but in 3ds max there is a camera correction modifier which automatically adjusts such issues.

And the table seems to be like floating right now. Is the glass generating caustics?

Regards
Shaun tan
Old 05-05-2007   #7
antonisVFX

Thanks again for your comments guys. Really appreciate it.

I'll try those fixes you mentioned during the weekend and post the new image here.

As for the glass i don't have any caustics its just a dielectric mental ray shader.

Thanks again. You are great
Old 05-05-2007   #8
mike0006

Don't worry about cuastics, those are just frosting on the cake. I think your main worry is even lighting.

If there is anything that my animation teacher taught me, it's that "everything leads everything." That means, basically, "you have to crouch before you jump" you have to, "be sad before you frown" you have to, "you have to get your weight on your right foot before you lift your left foot to take a step forward."

Lighting is exactly the same. Something has to motivate the way you light a scene. The way your geometry presents the scene, (and the lighting) you'd think that the only light source is the sun streaming in from the window. Such illumination would generally give sharp shadows unless there was some fill light from within the room. First design your lighting around the primary source. (the sun) Then, if add what you would logically perceive as natural bounced light from the sun's illumination. If, afterwards, you aren't happy with what you have, then think about lights that could possibly be outside of the scope of the camera that could have a positive effect on your scene.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Digital Lighting & Rendering by Jeremy Birn. It IS the bible as far as lighting is concerned. Read it cover to cover, then decide what it is you want to light. Then read the chapters that pertain to that scene again. I guarantee that you will see a noticeable difference with your final renders. My digital lighting instructor has been teaching for a while with Gnomon and even he has Jeremy's book listed as required reading.
mike0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #9
Shaun Tan

(Nods head.) I totally agree to Mike's post on the lighting part. (Going to check out on Jeremy Birn's book.)

Many thanks Mike, for the great info.

Last edited by Shaun Tan; 05-05-2007 at 05:34 AM.