This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-09-2007   #1
RCornell

Default 3d Lettering. Need help

Hello, I am trying too reproduce the lettering in this image in maya and I'm having a hard time getting the desired effect. It is not so much the materials that I'm having trouble with but the actual geometry behind it.

I modified a font in photoshop too achieve the blocky text with the angled corners. I saved out the layer as a selection too a new channel and made a new work path which I exported out of photoshop as an AI (illustrator file). I then imported that file into maya and used the curves too produce the desired 3d text surfaces.

However the problem is, The work path I save out doesn't match the lettering accurately enough and produces not so straight curves in maya. The curves aren't horribly off, They just aren't quite straight enough. I'll upload a picture of the resulting curves.

Oh and when creating the work path from the selection, I'm using a .5 tolerance which is the lowest I can set it. Any higher and the resulting paths are worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm looking for either a font that matches this style pretty close or a better way too export the custom shapes that are made in photoshop. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yac.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	682  

Last edited by RCornell; 04-09-2007 at 21:01 PM.
RCornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #2
Pharion

Awards Showcase

This text looks like it would be quite easy to do with just a bunch of extrusions and then a bevel...

You might be able to use Maya's Arial Narrow or Franklin Gothic Book, to model this. Just simplify the text by deleting verts and snapping to an axis ( Hold Ctrl X for grid or Ctrl V for vert Snapping, click the XYZ navigator to restrain it to the desired direction )

To remove the curve from your curves, you need to set the EP curve settings to '1 Linear'
Pharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #3
RCornell

I didn't even think about that. Thanks a lot man. If I run across any more problems, i'll be sure too post.

-Ryan
RCornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #4
RCornell

I created the text in photoshop so I could use it as a guide in maya.
And there is my rendered view of the text

Thanks Pharion for your input. I guess i just wanted a faster way of doing it, but this worked out perfectly.

Now too integrate it.

Thanks again !

-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yacaman_customText_template.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	691   Click image for larger version

Name:	yacaman_custom_text_export.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	53.6 KB