This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-05-2007   #1
kingkoa

Default I'm looking for some help learning acrylic painting techniques

Basically, i wan't to learn how to use acrylics. How to apply paint and different methods of working: From tonal underpainting, to going straight into color, dry and wet methods.

Imaginitive illustration looks like the ones to order, except that the last two volumes on painting are for digital paints.

I want to learn to put it down by hand.

Are there any videos at the gnomon workshop or elsewhere anyone can recommend?

My background: I'm fairly accomplished but always learning in pen and ink and tonal pencil work but I've never put down any paint before and really want to. I love the look of Acrylics, oils and goauche, however oils is out for the time being because of the chemicals needed to mix.
kingkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #2
Stalsby

I've been painting with acrylics for a few years and a lot of the learning process come from just doing it and experimenting yourself, but instruction videos on technique and things like that are always fun and good to watch. You can learn a lot that way! here are a few links to some basic training videos.

http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplie...ideos-dvds.asp

http://www.lilipubs.com/
Stalsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #3
kingkoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalsby View Post
I've been painting with acrylics for a few years and a lot of the learning process come from just doing it and experimenting yourself, but instruction videos on technique and things like that are always fun and good to watch. You can learn a lot that way! here are a few links to some basic training videos.

http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplie...ideos-dvds.asp

http://www.lilipubs.com/
Thank you. I guess I'm really nervous about going to paint, the technical matter of it.

Quote:
Have you contacted the local art colony to ask for assistance? I know we invite peoples/students into our studios all the time and do not mind sharing our knowledge all the time.

Have you contacted the local Art Association with your request? They too will be able to direct you to someone where you can get live hands on assistance.

Have you contacted the local Fine Arts Museum, you'd be surprised how helpful the curator can be as well as being a good resource to who is who and how to make contact for assistance.

Just things from experience I know do work.

You might even visit your favorite gallery and ask the owner / artisan (if it is a working studio as well) if you could "volunteer" in exchange for a bit of instruction.

Do not forget your local art supply vendor. They know who in the immediate area is open to fielding you kind of request, and who is working in your media.

Oracle
I have to admit that i'm outside of the art community in my area. I know nothing of it or where to begin, i'll check into the places you mentioned, but i don't really live near a thriving art community as far as I know.
Old 04-06-2007   #4
kingkoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
If you do not have a thriving community, I bet you can find someone that is producing nearby. I have a group that originally got together so we'd have someone in that region of the planet "IF" we needed to. We found one another online. Like this community, I belong to others where we network. We let each other know what we are looking for, then someone in our group will know someone who knows someone else that has the resolution.

Have you posted on any of the "Lists" that you are seeking others in your city/area to share knowledge, or meet? If you have a gallery within range, go talk to the owner, they are getting their artwork from someone. Contact those people asking about associations, guilds, clubs, etc. They are out there. It might take a bit of looking to find them.

Do not neglect to check with the local schools and colleges. They'd be a very good source. I'd bet there are people on these forums tht would be relatively close. My group get together every once in a while - One year it was Vegas and UK came in from the Orient, a few from Europe and a few from the East and West Coasts USA, and one from Canada. We took our vacations, learned a lot. With web cams, you can learn alot by meeting with people online and having someone "host" a lesson. It's great when you get an active group.
Used IM, we communicated Realtime and actually "showed" someone via cam how to do something, or conversely, they would show what they were doing and get realtime input. I have that on another forum. It has greatly improved my end product.

Anyway, don't mean to get wordy, but I thrive on the group exchange. I love the people in our artist colony because we feed off one another. If we don't know it someone in group does.

Just a few more suggestions.
Thanks oracle, what are the lists though?

I'm going to stop by some galleries tomorrow, they are about an hour or so away, But I found quite a few in the phonebook
Old 04-07-2007   #5
kingkoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Email lists. Highend has several dedicated to: Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, etc. Adobe has several dedicated to: Photoshop, Director, Flash, Macromedia, etc. Google for them, or go on either Yahoo, or one of those and sign up.

The point is, post it and see what happens. If you are competing in the Monthly challenge - post on list and see if anyone is near or knows someone . . . Get my drift?

Oracle
Yeah, I was completely unfamiliar with the lists. Thanks for the heads up on them.
Old 04-10-2007   #6
NathanS

I learned acrylis from old painters, I don't know about any internet based tutorials on learning acrylic painting methods, no doubt they exist. But my advice would be to locate someone who gives painting classes in your community, there is no comparison to having someone with experience guide you through the learning process.
NathanS is offline   Reply With Quote