This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Free Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding DVDs, tutorials, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007   #1
Arcaine

Default Neville Page DVD Reviews?

Hi All:

I'm looking to buy my next set of DVD's. I've got David Levy's Speedpainting, and Dusso's Matte Painting Volume 1 and 2. Quite pleased with all three.

Next up, I'm looking to get the four done by Neville Page. I want to get better at all of the techniques he teaches in those, especially after the recent ego thrashing I received on the Alien Pet contest.

If anyone could offer any reviews on Page's DVD's, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Arcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #2
fabianlacey

Awards Showcase
The Gnomon Workshop Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Arcaine,

Neville is the man! His DVD's pretty much take you through everything from the basic building blocks, to prismacolor sketches, to research and understanding what to research, to photoshop painting, to presentation finish....I've seen em, and now I'm wondering why I didnt impliment what I've learned in my past challenge! woopssss....sorry Neville! But they'd be a great addition to your collection. He def. knows how to take a piece to a very high level and will be very knowledgeable about the design itself and how or why it looks the way it does. Hope this helps, keep rockin the challenges! I'll see you in the next one.

Fabian
Old 04-05-2007   #3
Arcaine

Hi fabian. Thanks for the reply and the glowing review of the DVD's. Makes me want them even more.

One more question if you don't mind. My primary income is editorial cartooning and digital caricature. I try to get a lot of detail into the skin of my caricature faces, textures, etc. I realize that the flesh DVD of Neville's is for that wet looking creature, but do the techniques in that DVD translate to better looking 'normal' skin textures as well?

Cheers!
P.S. Anyone else who wants to weigh in on these DVD's...feel free to comment.
Old 04-05-2007   #4
fabianlacey

Awards Showcase
The Gnomon Workshop Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 1

hmmmm well good question. I'm assuming by "normal" you mean human skin textures...he doesnt do a human in these but he talks about knowing what to look for. The research is up to you. He'll pull up multiple references so you can see where the derived textures are acutually comming from. So in theory, you should be able to do the same by doing a little bit of your own field study. Good luck! Anyone else seen these?
Old 04-05-2007   #5
tomstools

Smile

I have the Rendering Flesh dvd, and its a great resource for building up techniques based on reference imagery, so I would say go for that one. It covers custom brush methods too, so it will give you tips to carry over into other subject areas.
Old 04-05-2007   #6
Arcaine

This is one of HIS images from the instructor gallery. I want to learn all of the techniques he teaches in the DVD's, but I would really like to be able to accomplish this kind of texture and quality in my caricature work. Obviously I'm not expecting a step by step for this image, just the necessary tools and instruction to give me the resources to figure out how to do this sort of thing.

Thanks for offering your opinion on these, Tom. The more the merrier. The flesh one is the one I'm hoping to learn the most from.
Old 04-05-2007   #7
tomstools

Hey no worries. Nevilles' technique is awesome, he makes it look so easy on the demo! The flesh dvd is certainly a good starting point for what you are looking for, hope it works out for you. Cheers
Old 04-05-2007   #8
RogerAdams

Neville's dvds are just awesome. I bought volume 1 and 2 years ago and right after viewing I went back and bought 3 and 4 even though the topics didn't interest me at the time. I bought them because I was so impressed with Neville's teaching ability I knew they would benefit me someway. I still render eyes the same method he describes because he tells you the reason why it's supposed to be this way. The science and anatomy of why an eye looks the way it does.

So don't hesitate to get any of Neville's lectures. But if you are looking at painting the head/figure check out Bob Kato's series. Don't be put off by his unique style. I learned more about the fundamentals of painting from them than any other dvd I've bought. How to start a painting and work through it in steps to finish it.

Good luck, man!
RogerAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #9
Arcaine

Hi Roger:

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. All comments are appreciated. Looks like the general consensus is that Neville's DVDs are definitely worth it. My decision is made, and I'll likely be getting the four of them next week.

I took a look at Bob Kato's. I've seen those in the selection before, and you're right...what put me off was his style. BUT, since you say that there's a lot to be learned about the fundamentals there, and I've never been to art school, that's something I could definitely benefit from. I'll put those on my future 'to buy' list.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Arcaine; 04-06-2007 at 18:44 PM.