This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 03-11-2007   #1
Wicked

Arrow My first 3D character (maya)

Hey, I made a 3d character, and I would like to get some comments

I still have no clue how to make a good skin in maya, if someone can gife me a video tutorial would be really appriciate.
I searched by my own for some tutorials to make a skin but hard to find 1 with basic stuff.

I learn myself maya at school, and work at home during my free time I have.
At school I have the real version of maya and at home the learning edition..
Once in a vacation I worked 7 days on this character and when I was back to school, I wasn't allowed to put the Learning edition to the orginal version of maya so thats the reason I continue with learning edition and made the work in it what I have it now.

I really appriciate critiques, because in the future I want to have a work as 3d designer (characters)

http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ckedpicyh3.jpg

Sorry for the the dark picter but I need to learn to make a good render with lighting and shadow and ofcourse how to make nice skins on my work.

Wicked.

Last edited by Wicked; 04-05-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #2
Oracle

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
I still have no clue how to make a good skin in maya, if someone can gife me a video tutorial would be really appriciate.
Have you tried: http://thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials.html

I recognized the face on the model. Congratulations on your first effort.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #3
rastascg

Hi Wicked...

Congratulations for you first character. I don?t know how is your metod for doing that model, but I think it?s more better for you if you have a good references of anatomy. On the chest, the nipple no it?s in his correct position, it?s near to the center of character.

I?m sure you will do a good model...

Regards,

Oscar.
rastascg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #4
sprakas4

Default great

great work man
sprakas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Tristamus

Very impressive for a first timer, but there are parts that seem to have a sharp "cut-off" part to them. Such parts are near the pit of your character neck, above the sternum, and near the abdomen.

As the person above me stated, studying antomy will help you in these categories VERY much.
Tristamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #6
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastascg View Post
Hi Wicked...

Congratulations for you first character. I don?t know how is your metod for doing that model, but I think it?s more better for you if you have a good references of anatomy. On the chest, the nipple no it?s in his correct position, it?s near to the center of character.

I?m sure you will do a good model...

Regards,

Oscar.
Thanks, I made this caracter by starting the head with polygon tool - split polygon tool.
After I made the head, I start doing the body and following the arms wich I attach on the body.

I made this character more in my mind ( no front - side view execpt the head I did with a front-side place picter)
Old 03-22-2007   #7
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristamus View Post
Very impressive for a first timer, but there are parts that seem to have a sharp "cut-off" part to them. Such parts are near the pit of your character neck, above the sternum, and near the abdomen.

As the person above me stated, studying antomy will help you in these categories VERY much.
With cut-off, what you mean with that? Do you mean the places where I attach the head (neck) to the body? If you mean that, I like to know how to provent that.

antomy means watching a real human body and watch how the body looks?
like muscles?

Ty in advance you all, really appriciate the input.

(ps, sorry for my english, I still need to learn allot
Old 03-31-2007   #8
toonchazer

Post nys piece

hey wicked! its a hood piece for the start man... but u gotta work more on the muscle follows!...... Otherwise its a cool character!....... Toon
toonchazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #9
Wicked

Hey Toon
Yea I know muscles isn't easy to do ^^ (spended much time on those muscles, I had to redo much work)

I will continue with this character soon, I made a little break with this character because I was blinded by all the work I spended on this character, I din't saw anny progresse and things what was good or not.
So I decided to take a little break and made some other 3d stuff during the time to learn more and quiker

Wicked