This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 03-10-2007   #1
Oracle

Default Photo-Realism?

Is it possible to achieve a proficiency (to model / skin / render) totally realistic without a vast array of peoples/teams/equipment behind the project? In other words: Is it a realistic expectation to be able to individually create something the eye cannot distinguish between real and modeled? A person, flower, or something living? Or is the limitation of the art itself prohibitive.

I'm trying to establish the reality of my expectation.

Any and all comments are appreciated. I've seen magnificent productions in legendary film, all created by huge teams working together to produce that effect. I ask, is it possible for an individual to achieve the same ?

Thank you for any response.

Oracle

Last edited by Oracle; 03-10-2007 at 18:53 PM. Reason: correct spelling/usage
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #2
mike0006

The short answer is, yes, one person can make a photorealistic image. In order to do so, you must first be able to to model something that looks photorealistic. A head, or cell phone, or car mabey...

Then you need to develope an eye for how different textures react in an environment so you can recreate that when painting your different texture maps.

You also must develop an eye for how to light stuff. Sure, an hdri will give you a quick pretty image, but after you've seen enough images that were lit with a HDRI, you'll be able to vaguely tell that it was an HDRI.

I'd suggest you just focus on one of these fields and get that polished up to a level you are happy with, then tackle another.
mike0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #3
mike0006

All you have to do to see some very impressive stuff is to go over to cgtalk.com and check out what they have featured on the top bar.
mike0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #4
Shaun Tan

Yeah totally agree to mike006. All you have to do is see some great images and work towards that.

It is not going to be easy, and that is what makes it worthwhile. Art foundation plays a crucial part. You are not alone. I am still learning too. It never stops.
Shaun Tan is offline   Reply With Quote