This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 02-17-2012   #1
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default Gathering - New Project / DVD?

Hi all...

Personal project, initially started to try out Zbrush's new Dynamesh (which is awesome!). Began with a sphere, made the character, and then decided to give him a place to exist.

The character and cliff/terrain are Zbrush, Plants are paintFX, trees from Onyx, fur is Shave, textured with Photoshop/Bodypaint and rendered with Mental Ray using mia_material_x and Fast_Skin SSS shaders.

Final output resolution is 6000x3750 for print. Image is 95% 3D with a couple smoke elements added in Photoshop by shooting some incense smoke on black, as well as some dry ice... which was a lot of fun.

The character is rigged, so I hope to turn this into an animated piece eventually...

Over the next couple months hopefully I will be able to put together a 'making of' on this project, but I also expect that I'll be making some new free tutorials as well based on some of the workflow things I figured out during the process (rocks/plants/etc).

Anyhow, it was a lot of fun to make! I hope people dig it.

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #2
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default high-res version

here is a link to a bigger 2560x1600 version...
click here.

-Alex
follow me on twitter
Old 02-19-2012   #3
Bokiche

Nice one. Could you create a full DVD of creating characters like this one. But please, i want to see everything that's done on screen, no skipping and fast tutorials.
Bokiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #4
tarekjsamaan

Awards Showcase

Thanx Alex for sharing this! looking forward o the tutorial........I was wondering in regards to Dynamesh, does it reach to a point where the PC performance gets effected???
tarekjsamaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #5
jibadajaba

Whoa. The quality is insane. What kind of time frame for a release are you thinking?
jibadajaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #6
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Hiya...

Dunno, but probably at least a couple months before I would be able to put anything together. In regards to dynamesh, it doesn't seem to have any performance issues at all as I kept the resolution relatively low (128), so that I was just blocking out shapes. Definitely not in the millions of polys.

As I still don't know if I'm going to turn this into an animated piece, I have no idea when I will consider this project to be done. I'm about to go on a trip to Brazil to give a presentation at the Union event in Sao Paulo, where I will discuss this image. Once I get back I hope to finish things up and then hopefully make a DVD...

-Alex
follow me on twitter