This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 02-08-2007   #1
genarorg

Default Linux, windows or OSX?

I am thinking about switching to linux instead of buying the new expensive vista. What are the advantages of using linux as the primary development environment? I've seen that maya, houdini and shake are available for linux, but I am wondering if these apps actually work better under linux... I have tought about a mac too, but I am just a student and I cannot afford it right now. Any help from linux users would be appreciated!!

thanks!
genarorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #2
powernemo

Hi there,

i tried Fedora Core 6 with Maya and it works preeeeetty faster than windows! Well the thing you should be aware is hardware issues (specially for videocards).
I got a cheap nVidia FX550 here and this does'nt looks like to work very well with Maya. Having a newer videocard compatible with Maya should do a very good job with Linux. You have to find the right drivers, eventually recompile your kernel and bugging stuff like this wich is really a trouble for new user (like me )... anyway
i noticed a overall better performance in Linux than in other OS. Maya installs and load a lot faster as well as Hypershade and marking menues (when you right click on objects).
I'vent tried other stuff too much cause some refresh problems happening when scrolling down the attribute Editor but the first glance gave me a general idea of the performance boost you can get with Linux.
powernemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #3
genarorg

Default cool

Hey thats great feedback man, I appreciate it thanks!!!
genarorg is offline   Reply With Quote