This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 11-08-2011   #1
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default November, 2011: Robot

Hi all..

Robot. Man's new best friend. I just watched the new video on Honda's Asimo where this was mentioned as a tagline. Hmm.

Come up with a functional robot design, could be a pet, assistant, worker, etc that looks like something that you would be exciting to interact with. You need to specify in your post the task that your robot is meant to serve.

Good Luck!

edit: winners announced!

-Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GW_nov2011_3D_winners.jpg
Views:	10419
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	6923  
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter

Last edited by A.Alvarez; 12-05-2011 at 10:15 AM.
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #2
gandalf1774

Awards Showcase

Hi Alex, the theme for this month is very similar to the September 2009 "Droid".

These are your statements from the September 2009 "Droid".

"Ok, so this month's theme is... Droid."

"So sure... R2D2, Star Wars and all that. But... this could be any kind of useful little droid. Perhaps one that walks your dog, or cleans your windows, or floats around killing flies, or jets down to 7-11 to get you a hot-dog, or just hangs out with you wherever you go as a convenient foot-stool. I dunno. Up to you."
gandalf1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #3
wickedsunny

Awards Showcase

Robots and droids can be different. This one mainly meant for showing the interaction between robot and human life. I have already started working on this.

[url]www.wickedsunny.com[/url]

Last edited by wickedsunny; 11-08-2011 at 22:37 PM.
wickedsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #4
gandalf1774

Awards Showcase

Okay you're right but do you agree that droid is a kind of robot?
gandalf1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #5
wickedsunny

Awards Showcase

Droids are robotic machines, as found in Star Wars films, books and television series. Mostly created for Star Wars by Special Effects worker John Stears, the term is a clipped form of android. The word "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. Droids (sometimes also 'droids, short for androids), were robots: mechanical beings, often possessing artificial intelligence. They were used in a variety of roles and environments, often those considered too menial or too dangerous for humans and other species. Droids were also used in fields that required extensive specialization and knowledge, such as medical droids and astromech droids. Depending on the model and its corresponding purpose, droids were totally obedient, rugged, expendable, capable of vast memory recall, and mathematically precise. These characteristics made them well suited for many jobs, though the lack of independent thought in the cheaper, less advanced models limited their capability. This lack of autonomy was simultaneously a vast asset and a glaring weakness—an asset in terms of obedience and control but a massive drawback in terms of effectiveness. Designers faced a fundamental paradox—make the droids overly intelligent, and they might rebel; yet make the droids not intelligent enough and they would be ineffectual.

Droids are not generally made very intellectual, while all Robots does not really fall in that category.

Yup Droid are kind of Robots but then its giving chance for someone like me who wasn't here in September to create robots.

Old 11-10-2011   #6
wickedsunny

Awards Showcase

Here is my attempt from last few days. My mom fell and broke her hip joint, so I might not be able to work more on this. Lets hope I do get time later in month, here is the image and here is the concept. Those who wish to wanna see the workflow can see it on my website www.wickedsunny.com

edited: I have done some minor changes and I hope this is the final version ( it takes hour to render this size and I cannot do anything else during that time on my computer ) This time maybe I did hit head on the concept. I didn't make the Halloween one scary enough last month. Cross Fingers

NANNY BOTS

New United England , 21st November 2025 - Honda has launched a new line of Robots especially suited for babysitting and handling toddlers home alone. These bots, which come in various size and shapes can play orchestra, handle toys, change diapers, and with their special tracking devices can make sure that the baby is never two feet away. Equipped with high end Artificial Intelligence they can anticipate baby's crying and play antics to distract him or even make him sleep. Currently afforded only by the richest of the richest, Honda has sold its first pack of bots to the royal family of New United England for the new born prince. The only question to be asked is whether these machines can replace human care and love?

Kolaveri Di Animation just for Fun http://youtu.be/1lzX3ddkUc8

Last edited by wickedsunny; 11-29-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2011   #7
christopher

Awards Showcase

Smile Hi

Hi , i will join this competition . . . can i design a worker robot???

Last edited by christopher; 11-14-2011 at 01:57 AM.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #8
mrjimmy

I think I may enter this, I've not entered one of these in a looooong time (years now) and plus, Blender has got its shiny new cycles renderer into trunk

Also OP what do you mean by functional? As in, it would work in real life or it just looks like it works?

Last edited by mrjimmy; 11-14-2011 at 08:24 AM.
mrjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9
wahidfbx

Nice theme ill submit an image for this ..! a robot maid would be helpful these days
wahidfbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #10
ImaginEarsAnimationStudio

Smile Newbie (New forum suggestion)

Hi, we are just new to the gnomon workshop forum, but we would like to know if there is any chance of there being a dynamics or fluid dynamics forum.

You see, we are a small 3d animation and fluid dynamics studio from scotland. And we would like to share some of our work on this forum.

cheers :O)

"If it can be imagined, it can be imagineared"

ImaginEars animation Studio

www.imaginears.co.uk
ImaginEarsAnimationStudio is offline   Reply With Quote