This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 02-23-2011   #1
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Default My new website and demoreel

Hi all,
It's been a long time...

I would like to announce that my new website is online.
There are lots of great artists here, and I would like to know your opinion on my demo reel.
I know my website is in french so, sorry Thanks!

http://www.gtpix.fr/
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #2
Dean

Site looks great, and the demo reel is just awesome!!!
'when we reflect on how we, born in times of peace, can sleep under a mosquito net in summer and wrap ourselves in quilts in winter, and living at ease eating what we please, we should consider ourselves lucky''

[url]http://maya3dart.blogspot.com/[/url]
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #3
kubrick79

Love the 3D work but using video copilot tutorials for your show reel really isn't the done thing
kubrick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #4
shrunkendesigner

You show case your work in a very clear and professional way... now whore your site around and get yourself some work!
[/FONT]

Last edited by shrunkendesigner; 03-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.
shrunkendesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #5
ipranawake

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

The site looks fine but i was surprised not to find a gallery page, becos im sure that you have some great stuff up there. The site is beautiful.

And the demo reel is good. Good,but not great (no offence) ..., may be bcos i expected much more from you !!!!!...... I suggest that you do a separate modeling reel as well coz i think modeling is the best part you have. And i hope you will insert a gallery page in your web site as well.

Keep up man .... Good luck.

And Hey!!!!!! ......... Why dont you show up in the contests now? We had real great themes in the past months ... and this month too .... Hope you would join again.
ipranawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #6
IIIXAaronXIII

Awards Showcase

This is just my 2 cents GT,

You do have some GREAT work. I have seen you post it around here over the last year. IMHO this site does not do your work justice man. I am going to be blunt here so please don't get offended. I am only doing this because I know you could do better.

Gallery, you need to have one. The stills that you have posted here for contests need to been seen individually. Showing them in the demo reel is ok like the wire frames and such but you need to show the final images as well. Because I have seen all of these images I can tell you that you don't get a very good idea of how good they are from the reel alone and all of the detail and hard work you put into then is not getting seen. If you want to keep the wire frames in thats fine but you should have a nice large image of the final in a gallery as well.

The site is ok though it seems a bit much and well over the top. Please understand I am not trying to offend you man not at all I am very familiar with your work and know you could do better. Things like not being able to read the text in the upper right corner because its white text on a white lens flare. The alignment of the left side text with the lines not matching up. Basic design stuff that is not being followed will only hurt you in the end.

The Demo reel, to much unfinished work in there for my liking. Wire frames are ok but only when you see the final image. Most of the stuff in the reel is not rendered. Also keep in mind that your reel should only have your absolute BEST work in it. Its better to have 4-5 super strong pieces then 3 good ones and 5 ok ones. It's never about quantity its always about quality. For example you have a still of a motorcycle when you click on the 3D link that looks very cool yet it is not in your reel. Why?

I think that you could do so much better GT. I have seen a lot of your work and you are an amazing 3D artist though when I see your site I don't get that impression. I am not trying to be mean here buddy I just really think you could do better if you take your time with it. Do not rush it man.

Good luck Man!

Last edited by IIIXAaronXIII; 03-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
IIIXAaronXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #7
ipranawake

Awards Showcase

I havent seen the image you won in the "Boiler room" contest anywhere too. I think you need to refine both the site as well as the Demo reel.
Old 03-25-2011   #8
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Smile

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for all your crits and comments. I appreciate a lot!
Concerning the gallery, I'm working on it. it takes some times, and in fact, last months, I was very busy.
That's why I didn't take part of contests. But I promise, I'll be back!

IIIXAaronXIII, Ipranawake: I'm not offensed. I wanted your C&C, and I got them!

kubrick79: Video Copilot is a great source of inspiration for CG artists, and if I tried to re-do one of Andrew Kramer's tutorial for my demo reel, it is just to improve my skills, learn, etc. and because I love TRON Legacy's visualFXs!!

I'll do my best and keep you posted when the gallery will be online.
THXS

Last edited by GTpix; 03-25-2011 at 02:09 AM.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #9
ipranawake

Awards Showcase

There you go .....