This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 02-04-2011   #1
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Exclamation Happy New Year! (I know it was late...)

Once again, another illustration we did to learn another style of our digital arts creation; it's a fusion of her manga style and my realistic crap approach.

╭(′ ▽`)╯

╭(′ ▽`)╯

I'm going to post it into Ballistic Publishing, Expose 9 under her name for the second time (I already submitted Tyto). I have no intention to publish mine since my recent arts was totally full of unholy mecha craps.

---

Okay then, I would like to have some suggestions... I know the text of new year and her alias name over the head was my crappy things to do and it's really-really not appropriate. But, well... she plans only to draw the characters half body and got a blank A4 above and below. Any constructive ideas or maybe direction toward us?

I really need your help, guys. Since my friends anywhere around here would only say: "WOW IT'S COOL!", "HOLY CRAP IT'S A CRAP!", "IS THAT A TROLL?" <-- I said fuck to last comment or another nonconstructive comments...

Anyway, thanks for viewing and I would update this one after receive your ideas. Honto ni arigatou.

╭(′ ▽`)╯
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLAC.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	5907  

[I]and that's the way this signature born...[/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HaYaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #2
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

i like:

frame and gradients applied - it's simple yet effective, nothing more nothing less

happy new year - reflective mirrored opacity underneath

drawing - especially the way the yellow works well, as a highlight on face/hair but also as one of the feature colours on the character

i don't like:

the signature or her name (can't quite tell what it is) on the shoulder. If it's an artist signature it should be underneath her shoulder
if it's a name, then it should me more accentuated to look like a part of the painted fabric

the title above her head, personally i would avoid covering it with her head. i've seen this use over the years, and it best works on words with under 6 letters, in your case it covers the end of first and beginning of last. Kinda hard because those are vital parts of any word

happy new year title - it's cool but it's kinda taking away from the character with colour contrast and since the character isn't using such tones it makes a difference. Just slight desaturation or different approach to let the character shine through

*** if i was harsh in any way forgive me, just wanted to give some C&C (not necessarily everyone's cup of tea)
rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #3
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Lightbulb Updated but...

Aha... this is what I wanted, I upload a new approach of your suggestions, Roc.

It was a quick one.

* Removed headline title
* Removed "EBEN HAEZER" signature over her shoulder
* De-saturate the happy new year text
* Rescale the main character

Thanks a lot, Roc. I would like to see some updates if there are anything quite absurd on the first pic updated.

I also make a different approach by removing all elements except frame and character but added blueish filters. What do you think, man?

And this is what I meant about 'emptiness' above and below the main character. I figured it would comes out without the elements and what I fear-most; the picture have something missing. But I don't know why... Is this just me or the madness or am I the only one that felt it?

---
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FLAC - updated.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	5908   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLA - blank.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	5911  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by HaYaTo; 02-04-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2011   #4
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

i personally like the change - it feels perfect for each other, and i see what you mean with empty space. Gradient is nice, but it still feel like floating around. If you want to present only the artwork it could use some "floating geometry", few lines that tell the tale of environment but just vaguely
Old 02-04-2011   #5
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Exclamation

Roc, what do you mean about 'floating geometry'? I don't get it... but to make a few vaguely environments... I still don't get the inspiration...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-04-2011   #6
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

i mean the artist of you can by putting simple lines better place the character in the space - few lines to suggest a piece of furniture or a piece of environment besides her.

things like when you (in art) make a model of a small object (hand held pencil sharpener) you should draw something else on the piece as well to suggest the size of it. Even if you know it's small it could represent an entire town, who knows - point being you draw something you don't need in order to make your inspiration much more clear
Old 02-04-2011   #7
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocneasta View Post
i mean the artist of you can by putting simple lines better place the character in the space - few lines to suggest a piece of furniture or a piece of environment besides her.

things like when you (in art) make a model of a small object (hand held pencil sharpener) you should draw something else on the piece as well to suggest the size of it. Even if you know it's small it could represent an entire town, who knows - point being you draw something you don't need in order to make your inspiration much more clear
Thats a cool lil trick, but not always needed IMO.
'when we reflect on how we, born in times of peace, can sleep under a mosquito net in summer and wrap ourselves in quilts in winter, and living at ease eating what we please, we should consider ourselves lucky''

[url]http://maya3dart.blogspot.com/[/url]
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #8
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up Removed frame and try with vignette element

Okay, Roc. I got what you mean, but still... I haven't tried anything in paper... my lazy ass stuck playing with another color adjustments and so here we go, before I add some inspirational 'vaguely environment', could you please tell me which are the coolest color variation?

Dean, thanks for your humbly opinion.

---

---

I tried to achieve vignette element into this kind of style.

* Removed frame, I felt much better. My friend suggest that, he said "Put away those gradient damn frame."

---
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ISENG.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	5912  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-05-2011   #9
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

if i had to choose i would say last one - just because of that tone of yellow that gives the whole character life - and you're kinda dimming that effect with every variant except last one
Old 02-06-2011   #10
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Lightbulb

Okay, I think the last one is the best too, the others just... well... to much playing with adjustments.

I'll add some textures to it afterward. Thanks for your comment, Roc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]