This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 01-14-2007   #1
Iva

Default Need critique *matte painting*

Hello folks

Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007   #2
daniel ching

I feel that this lacking a little of " noise " in the image, the left side the texture this a little smooth excessively and the red of (falling leaves) must be more for the rust. but this excellent one is details only
daniel ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #3
Matthew Ellis

Awards Showcase

Hey Iva ,
This is looking good so far. I think it is still a concept thou. Now is the time where you should start looking for royalty free photos that will match what you have here.
I agree with daniel too , you need to break up the those solid shapes. Maybe make the trees in the foreground darker and then add some atmospheric pressure on those mountians to add depth.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Matthew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #4
Iva

Did few changes...

Thought about to put in a tower, should be quite nice

Last edited by Iva; 01-19-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #5
msoutherland

Awards Showcase

I think the hang up for my eye is the mountains need more depth defined. My suggestion would be to add a few more horizontal accents to smartly define smaller ridge lines. Change up your brush types and sizes. It's apparent the sky and mountains were done with the same brush. A little too soft probably. Good image overall, but I'm assuming you're shooting for photo realism.
Old 01-26-2007   #6
ArtandLife

Thumbs up

Okay, I think you entire concept is very well mapped/sketched out....first thing, I'm not sure if the area to the right of the main road is grass, bushes, or trees...if the area is filled with trees or small brush/bushes you should use perspective to show the distance along with your road. I think your mountains in the background are fine, due to the fact that they don't have extreme defintion, the mountains are perfect for something seen in a background distant shot. I can see that the tress/bushes start blurring as they move into the middleground than to the background, but if those are tress they need to be larger up front in the foreground. YOur sky is nice but stare at the whole work and see if the sky should be more perspectively painted. I think it should. but it may look different after your final piece is done. I love the snow its visually cold, and realistic. Bring out those branches that are in the foreground. Since this is a Matte painting I feel that it has a sense of an overall or all over focal point, the road leads the eye as well as the shrubs/trees/bushes lead the eyes toward the mountainess area. anyway, so many words because I like this painting. Walk away, come back do something if you feel it, repeat until you feel that this is a masterpiece. Honestly I like this piece....snow is awesome.

Last edited by ArtandLife; 01-26-2007 at 02:54 AM.
ArtandLife is offline   Reply With Quote