This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 01-07-2010   #1
Hairy Snowman

Default Pandoran Creature - WIP

Hi all

I decided to make a WIP thread for this months competition Pandoran Creature. I haven't seen the movie yet, I will be hopefully this weekend. I couldn't resist so I started on a concept for a hexapod. It will give me a chance to see how ZBrushes zsketching works.

What I came up with has some Ram and Lizard features. I added wings but I am not sure if I will keep it. If I do it won't really fly, but it will be used for gliding. It is still a concept so a lot could change. One thing I noticed is how tough it is to make six limbs look natural. Any crits and comments are welcome.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zsphere creature concept.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	4338

(*LATEST UPDATE*)

Name:	Armored Lizard.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	4360

Last edited by Hairy Snowman; 01-15-2010 at 21:43 PM.
Hairy Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #2
Hairy Snowman

Thanks for the support Toha
I hope you find the time to participate this month, if not there is always next month.

The whole model is just made up of zspheres. So no subtools are used so far. I like using the zspheres for coming up with the concept, then I will do a unified or adaptive skin when i am ready to sculpt it.

So I changed the zsphere structure a bit, took out the horns and wings (for now, maybe add them in later) and am sticking to a six legged lizard for this concept. I did a bit of zsketching for the first time so it is a little messy. I just need to practice a bit to get the hang of it. Well this is what I got so far.

Name:	Lizard concept.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4343
Old 01-08-2010   #3
Adale Rene

Awards Showcase

They haven't mentioned z-4 I think they are releasing one feature at a time to get rid of a lot of the bugs before z-4. I found that in 3.5r2 the z-script playback wigs out and they basically said its because r2 was still just a rough draft of 4

nice start, Hairy Snowman
Adale Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #4
Hairy Snowman

I am using Zbrush 3.5 r3 but I don't have much experience using it. There is so much I don't know about the program, I am learning everything based on tutorials and just trying things out in the program.
I had to look up what Zapplink was. That definitely sounds useful, I will try it out later when I continue my project. What problems does it have? Is it still useable?

So Toha you are a teacher, what subjects? I wish I had teachers that knew what they were doing in my 3d classes. One of them didn't even know how to use the program.
Old 01-13-2010   #5
Hairy Snowman

Got the head of my creature coming along. Still have quite a bit of detail to add, but just wanted to show what I have so far.

Name:	Creature Head.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4354

*EDIT*
Quick update.

Name:	Head WIP.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4356

Last edited by Hairy Snowman; 01-13-2010 at 22:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2010   #6
Grubber

Awards Showcase

Hey, this is not bad. But I would suggest not to concentrate on one part of Your model. Because it will look like You concentrated on one part Unless there will be only head in the final shot?
Grubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #7
Hairy Snowman

Thanks for pointing that out Grubber, it makes sense, I got a little too involved in the head before I blocked out the whole model. I'll start working on sculpting the body and making it work together with the head i have.
Old 01-15-2010   #8
Hairy Snowman

I started working on the body and came up with a naturaly armored lizard. I was thinking of some kind of turtle shell at first but it would seem to confined. So I am trying out a shell that is more flexible (doesn't really look like a shell anymore hehe). Still have quite a bit of detail to add to it. Any crits & comments are welcome.

Name:	Armored Lizard.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	4359
Old 01-31-2010   #9
Hairy Snowman

Well I didn't get to finish the model before the deadline for the contest. I need to learn the workflow of using ZBrush and 3ds max together, since that is where I had a lot of problems.

Here is what I had.
3ds Max - Click image for larger version

Name:	Pandoran Armored Lizard.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	4540

ZBrush - Click image for larger version

Name:	Armored Lizard Zbrush.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	4541