This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 11-16-2009   #1
Amonite

Default Raising the Spirits WIP - Where the River Runs Silver

Past WIP

Base Sketch

They are not the spirits of people, but more the spirits of dreams that she is searching through, looking for a specific one

Last edited by Amonite; 11-27-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #2
Amonite

Racing to get this done (I am doing nanowrimo this month, so little time for other stuff...)

The major things left to do are finishing up her legs (I corrected them from my first sketch, they still need a bit of tweaking), finishing adding the lights and lighting, and adding in the reflections of the ribbons.

Last edited by Amonite; 11-28-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2009   #3
Amonite

Reverted to how I had the legs originally ^.^ I still need to finish them up though. Hands are much easier than legs ^.^
Old 11-28-2009   #4
Amonite

Finished, more or less.

I have a bad habit of painting on the wrong layers, and then later erasing part of that layer or deleting it without realizing I have important stuff on it - so I kept having to paint things over. And I am still trying to find a tool in the set that is high coverage but blends well without being grainy. (I use acrylics and airbrush tools on varying opacity a lot, but they each have their drawbacks)

I managed to do the whole picture only using the burn and dodge tools once though, so I think I am breaking that habit (on one of the peskier ribbons.)

The most fun thing to do was the silver river (although it was a bit hard. The last time I remember doing colored water in an art program was quite a number of years ago on this which was basically an airbrush spray on blue: http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/d...ntestentry.jpg ) I like my silver river much better.

The hardest thing to do was Kurischino's skin/face. I realized that unless I have a photo ref/s to help, I usually always draw caucasian girls because that's what is easy for me to construct. The dreams were also hard, having so many light sources placed at different depths in the scene. (I mostly cheated and lit things from two spots, unless there was a dream/light really close to them)

Slight update

Last edited by Amonite; 11-30-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2009   #5
Amonite

I think I should have done this step earlier in the process (checking in a grayscale version) when I still had time to fix it - but it is kind of interesting. I can see some parts where I relaxed a bit once seeing the greyscale, but others where I saw shadows that came out funny, lost opposunities for better contrast, and funny brushstrokes.