This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 11-15-2009   #1
TimWinkelman

Default American Gothic Interior WIP

First post with the latest WIP image:

I have decided to base my image on American Gothic. I will be doing an interior inside the attic room with the distinctive window from the painting. The guy with the pitchfork will be in the foreground. I haven't done any preliminary sketches because I think I can model what I need using a jpeg of the painting. Once I have modeled the room and main character, I plan to experiment with a low camera angle and low placement of the main light source to give it a creepy horror movie vibe.

I admit I chose this subject partly because I looked at pictures of gothic cathedrals and decided they were too hard. Those curves and angles in the cielings look complicated to put together. I am new at 3D, still working through tutorials, and I wanted a project I am pretty sure I can finish.

I will post more when I get some modelling done.

Last edited by TimWinkelman; 11-15-2009 at 17:14 PM.
TimWinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #2
kajuzas

Awards Showcase

It is not as hard as it might look.
Good luck
kajuzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #3
TimWinkelman

Thanks, I think I will figure it all out eventually, but it will take some time. I am trying to make this a project that I can finish by the deadline. I am having to learn some new things I haven't done yet for this. I think if I were modelling a cathedral I would probably have to learn to use things like curves and arrays. I will use these sometime on a future project. Right now, I am trying to keep the amount of new stuff I have to learn at a reasonable level.

Here is the model for the interior of the attic room:

I am keeping it pretty simple. I think this model is pretty much finished. I will probably just add a subsurface modifier to soften the edges a little bit and add a wood texture from the texture library. The camera angle and lighting will be similiar to this with the character model in the right forground.

Next, I need to model the character of the man with the pitchfork. I think this will take the most time, followed by lighting and rendering.
TimWinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote