This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 09-16-2009   #1
jhart87

Default Droid WIP

Whats up everybody??? just checkin in and showing what i have started today for the 3d Challenge. Ive almost completed the droid model and I am about to start modeling the enviroment.

So my idea is a r2d2 form of droid... but with a little different use... Basically this little guy is a Keg carrier... cause if you have ever been to a keg party... waiting in line for a beer gets kinda old... so this dude would carry the keg around the party stopping for anybody who needs a refill.... let me know what yall think... critism is always welcome...

EDIT:

updated droid with txt's

Last edited by jhart87; 09-16-2009 at 17:27 PM.
jhart87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #2
lsdhillon

your droid is too simple try adding some complexity to it like wires cameras or some sort of detection sysyems etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lsdhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #3
harmonix

Awards Showcase

yeah it lacks scale - at the moment its looks about 10cm tall - try adding more detail.
harmonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #4
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi all!
adding some little bolts and some patches will be good items to see the scale.
2nd,
Did you use depth of field in your images? If you use Maya to render your image, try to use "mitchell" instead of "gauss" preset in render globals. It will refine your image. With this, you will be able to add very fine details on your droid with specular, reflections...
I always use this in my comps because it doesn't smoothes the objects.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #5
jhart87

thanks for the feedback everybody.... greatly apperciated.... ill deff work on refining the details to add some complexity...

@ GTpix: im using 3DS max to model and render.... ive never used maya except for animating but do those setting apply to max as well? if so... could you possibly tell me where i could find them... Im still new to modeling and setting up good quality renders....

but once again thanks everybody and look forward to seeing everybodys finished work!!

jeff
Old 09-17-2009   #6
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi Jeff,sorry, I don't use 3Dmax, but i'm sure there is a guy in the world that can help you on this kind of settings.
One thing: if you render your image twice the size, resolution and details will be better.
Good luck!
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #7
jhart87

thanks man.... yea the only reason i render in lower sizes is because of my comp... its extremely slow and pretty much a piece of junk so for test renders, i render low qualitys so i can knock them out quick and get feedback.... but again thanks for the info and ideas
Old 09-18-2009   #8
jhart87

heres an update of my droid... added some finer details... still have to model the legs and do texturing... let me know what yall think...
Old 09-21-2009   #9
jhart87

hey... gotta question... does anybody know a simple way to make a beer material.... ive found a few different ones but none seem to work... jus curious if anybody out there has any suggestions....

thanks
jeff
Old 09-21-2009   #10
jhart87

here an update... gettin close to final i think... let me know what yall think...