This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 07-31-2009   #1
cdevens

Default Zbrush mapping problem

Hello,
My normal maps look fine in zbrush, but look horrible when I apply them in Maya.
I saw a thread with the same problem, but no solution was offered other than vertically flipping the normal map (which I have done). I have attached some images below that might give some insight into my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Render without normal map:

UV map (I know its sloppy, but this was only meant as a test, there are no overlapping uvs):

Normal Map:

Result in Maya with normal map:
cdevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #2
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Looks like the normalmap is being applied as a bumpmap.. find the node that links the texture [normalmap] to the shader in Hypershade.. Check to see if the option is set to Tangent Space and not Bump.

HTH

Cheers,
Chris
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #3
nicholas_caruana

Awards Showcase

for a normal map to work you must use mentalRay, or any other render that supports normal map.

not the maya software renderer
nicholas_caruana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #4
cdevens

Default Problem Solved!

Thank you two very much. I had the map set to tangent space normal, but I was using the Maya software renderer. I didn't know that it didn't support normal maps, so it was just treating it as a bump map. I really appreciate the both of you taking the time to help!
cdevens is offline   Reply With Quote