This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-20-2009   #1
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Default Dragon Rider 2D WIP

Ok. So I decided to give the 2D contest a go this time round.

I was going to do a traditional Dragon with rider. Something like a cover from a Dragonlance Novel. But then I remembered that I wanted to do a piece of artwork that involved a Thorny Devil Lizard. I just love them!...

Anyhoo....

Here's my work so far. Obviously the lizard is only influenced by the Thorny Devil. I've changes the proportions and the anatomy a bit to make it a little more "Dragon" like.

I'm thinking maybe the final scene will be with large flowers and grass. Making the Dragon very small, say 10 inches long. Maybe the little dude is a Pixie or something.. Anyway..we'll see how it develops.

C&C more than welcome.

Old 07-21-2009   #2
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Update:

Extra detail added to lizard
Colour blocked out for goblin, saddle, etc
Very quick scene to get a feel of how its looking

To do list:

Colours need lots of work to balance the piece
back and foreground scene needs to be done proper (wont be using this type of scene)
More detail into goblin and saddle to make him fit in with the lizard better
Might need to re-think the weapon/flag as its hard to see.

Anyhoo... C&C please. I could do with some fresh eyes on it

Old 07-23-2009   #3
Amonite

I think the weapon and flag are probably fine, they aren't cutting any wierd/confusing lines and add a bit of movement

Are the goblin/mountains going to be equally as realistic as the dragon? If not, making the dragon a bit more simple might help - but it its all going to be as detailed as the dragon then it works well ^.^ Until the goblin gets gobbled ...
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #4
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Hi Amonite. Thanks for the comments

I think I will leave the weapon it where it is, roughly. But will correct the colours to get it standing out a bit more.

As for the goblin and mountain. Well. I've changed the goblin now and I do intend to try and get more realism into him rather than simplifying the dragon. The mountains and sky are just a placeholder scene ATM. Will be doing something more fitting for the piece once I nail the characters.

Anyhoo..Still alot to do

C&C still wanted. Let me know what you like and dislike.

Cheers

UPDATE:

New Goblin

Old 07-27-2009   #5
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Well...Dunno. Kinda think i'm losing the battle here. Still loads of work to do to get the scene to a finished standard. Hopefully I can pull it off though.

Update:

Desert scene rough

Old 07-28-2009   #6
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Ok...getting it toward a finished piece now.

Could do with some C&C. So let me know your thoughts. I love Crit, so please feel free to rip it to shreds and let me know you hate it.

Cheers

Update:

More detail, more detail, more detail.
Better shading
Various scene changes
More detail.....

Old 07-29-2009   #7
Seraph Fawkes

stinger88

Your dragon is cute ) I like your work on character, but background, though it's a desert, is lifeless and boring. Maybe it's not big deal, but interesting back would've definetely add points to your drawing.
Seraph Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #8
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

I think the goblin is ace - I'd love to model him up as a 3d character!

The dragon looks nice in form but looks quite flat in tone.. what I mean is, there's hardly any 'self shadowing'. In such a bright, stark environment the shadows would be harsh [like the projected shadow you have painted on the floor surface], defining the dragons form better.. Also maybe vary the colours on the dragon, perhaps have his underbelly a different colour.. just an idea.

I also prefer the mountainous backdrop to the empty desert.. just seems to fit better with the style of the goblin in my opinion.

Cheers,
Chris
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #9
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the feedback guy!

Seraph Fawkes: Yep. I agree the backdrop is lacking something. My initial thoughts were to do a more green setting. Maybe a forest. But I think if i'd went down that route I wouldnt have been able to finish in time. So this was really a choice to fit the deadline. Maybe i'll develop the character another time and put it in a nicer scene.

mkyboy: Feel free to model him if you wish. Just credit me if you do. Or i'll hunt you down like a dog!...Just kidding... I will probably try modeling this or something similar at some point. I've always wanted to do a Thorny Devil.

I've also taken in what you've said about the shading. I was just being lazy and didn't really want to shadow each spike. It was defo worth it though. Well spotted! Has really defined the shape a bit more IMO. The under belly is lighter now as well. I would have put stripes of red down the body but I think I better step away from it now.

UPDATE: FINISHED!!! (I think)

Shading and highlights improved vastly
Scene improved with heat haze
Flag defined a bit

Enjoy. Feedback still more than welcome

Full Size Image: 3Kx2.1K 300dpi

Last edited by stinger88; 07-29-2009 at 14:38 PM.
stinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #10
Death_Smiles

I really dig your dragon but I agree that the shading could really give it more form. As far as your background goes I would crop the image from the tree all the way to the right. If that tree isn't there I think that the background would be a lot less boring and plain.( I know sounds weird lol, but I am pretty sure it would work.)

Good Luck
Death_Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote