This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-14-2009   #1
Aqueous

Awards Showcase

Default Dragon Rider - 2D

Heya! I'm posting this to ask only for critique on one thing really:

Does the rider himself feel significant enough in the painting?

Is he large enough? Does his matching look with the dragon cause him to 'blend' in too much?

My main fear with the image is that because of the rider's similiar attire he 'meshes' too much with the dragon; however, I have quite a dilemma with that because while it's easy to just change his robes to bright pink it hardly 'fits' with the theme of the image.

I'm considering either introducing an additional artificial light source - coming from the left to hit the rider's back - or changing the natural light source to come from the left instead.

Anyway, answers will be helpful! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRider1 Incomplete.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	3482  

Last edited by Aqueous; 07-14-2009 at 18:40 PM.
Aqueous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #2
Amonite

Perhaps changing the background color to something less intrusive while still unifying, and pulling in more of that deep red into the cloak like on his bandana/upper wraps rather than strait black/gray, would emphasize him as a figure slightly more and deemphasize the background (as right now the dragon becomes a thematic background piece, which is nice, but the red background drowns everything else out) - just tweaking the colors will probably do most of the work rather than redoing the pose or sizes, although those are other options. Also, tweaking the play of light off the materials even more -cloth, dragon scale, metal, etc - will further emphasize the difference between the organic and inorganic elements of the piece and the human eye will distinguish the elements on its own.
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #3
Aqueous

Awards Showcase

Rightio, thanks for the advice .

It's a pain, I think the biggest reason I had this issue was because I originally painted the image to be much larger than it's displayed on the forums.
Aqueous is offline   Reply With Quote