This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-12-2009   #1
Baaaah

Default Rage - WIP

Hello all .

My first post on the forum and I thought I'd have a go at the Rage sculpting challenge.

This is where I'm at so far. I thought I'd go for a sort of cartoony style character and exaggerate certain features to try and illustrate the state of the character. Basically I'm trying to make him look as though he's that furious and enraged his head is on the brink of explosion.

The hand is a bit of a mess, I think I might redo that. I'll try and give him a more suitable pose later as well.

Baaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #2
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

I like the cartoony approach. You should sculpt with symmetry on or mirror afterwards.
Another idea would be to model him unposed and pose him afterwards. This will give you better control while sculpting.
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #3
Baaaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrRambow View Post
I like the cartoony approach. You should sculpt with symmetry on or mirror afterwards.
Another idea would be to model him unposed and pose him afterwards. This will give you better control while sculpting.
I assumed - wrongly - that Zbrush would still continue to symmetrically update the other arm, even though it was hidden. A lesson learned there

Yeah, I've got him sort of semi-posed. I left the arms straight as I thought it would make life easier for me. I don't think it did really.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 07-13-2009   #4
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

You can use symmetry with a mask to apply the details from one to the other arm.
Old 07-14-2009   #5
Baaaah

Quote:
You can use symmetry with a mask to apply the details from one to the other arm.
Sorry, you've got me there I'm afraid, I don't really see how to do that
Old 07-14-2009   #6
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Just draw a mask over one half of the model and then use symmetry in the deformationtab.
Old 07-14-2009   #7
Baaaah

Quote:
Just draw a mask over one half of the model and then use symmetry in the deformationtab.
Ahhhh, I see, Smart ReSym. Cool cheers
Old 07-18-2009   #8
Baaaah

I decided to start again and build a simpler base mesh, with a more sensible pose as well, as suggested and work up from that. This is the current state.

The anatomy, as far as it can be on a catoony character, isn't great, but I'm trying to use this as a bit of learning exercise and I think it's probably better than my previous attampt.

Old 07-18-2009   #9
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

It's always a bold move move to 'rip it up and start again' so respect for that

Nice one - one thing i'd suggest is sculpting your mesh at a lower resolution, then only stepping up when you need too, that way you can achieve cleaner lines and form.

Looking forward to seeing the final piece fella

Cheers,
Chris
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #10
Baaaah

Cheers mkboy . Yeah, I think I'm always a little too eager to get to the higher detail levels before exploiting the low ones first. I'll try and keep it in mind

Worked on the face some more and gave him a lovely set of knashers :P

One thing I'm having a bit of trouble with is the eyes. I created them in Max and every time I divide them, the sphere seems to corrupt - the central vert on each apex flies off into the void somewhere. Is there a way of preventing this?