This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-09-2009   #1
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Default Rage WIP - Christian Rambow

Got an initial idea for rage (But i will not submit the final sculpt... just work here in the Wip Thread)
... the main idea was a guy that is so much in rage and psychotic, that he pulls on his hair and face.

I tried a lot of poses and this came out the best. Maybe i will tweak it
on progress ... For shure i need to work out whole concept.

This time i used a basemesh that i did not model myself (Its the full body male basemesh that i modified a littlebit in c4d (unwrap UVWs, minor changes in the topology) and then imported to zbrush again.
The gum basemesh is from Alex Alvarez.

Last edited by ChrRambow; 07-09-2009 at 08:23 AM.
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #2
User1234

Awards Showcase

Hey ChrRambow, nice concept. I think you should enter your sculpt, the last one you did was pretty sweet. Looking forward to updates.
User1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #3
rsantiago

I agree with User, you should definitely submit this entry. I'm liking the WIP so far.
rsantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #4
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Nice idea - looking forward to seeing his tortured expression!

Why not enter? The more the merrier - unless your DVD shelf is full..

Cheers,
Chris
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Enough DVDs now

Some Progress...

Old 07-09-2009   #6
one lung lewis

Awards Showcase

I'm liking your direction. What is this talk of you not submitting your sculpt into the contest. I'm submitting mine this month, and competition is what makes everybody better. I know alot of people were speaking up against it at first but its all good. I would really like to see your piece in the final line up.

one small critique on your sculpt so far:

I don't know if your using the same base mesh to sculpt your guys or not but the figure feels a lot like your Mech Tech Death entry. I have faced this problem before my self, you have an awesome base mesh that you worked so hard and its awesome. What you will find is (if you don't work really hard to completly transform the mesh) is that your pieces will start to seem stale. You want your stuff to have a very fresh feel. Take that for what its worth, I speek from experience. It is looking good though.

One Lung Lewis
[url]www.onelunglewis.com[/url]
one lung lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #7
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

This time its another Base for the Body (but i've replaced the Head with my basehead head,
that i also used for the previeous challenge). You are right i have to go away or create a new Base
(maybe a less defined one for the Head area). :/ Sometimes it's better to trash old meshes instead
of reusing them for too long. Thank you for the advice. This is a important aspect you've mentioned.
Thank you

I will share the basemesh for the head ... maybe someone will find it useful ... i will avoid or use this
just careful from now on.

Here is the Mesh

Old 07-10-2009   #8
reidbaker

Awards Showcase

Not to discourage you, because I think the contests are good for exposure. But I can certainly understand people being unhappy, I look over at the 3d image contest and you have the same people winning every month (one in particular and I've not been here that long), it really defeats the purpose of the contest to try and compete with people who have won so many damn DVDs and in-turn developed their abilities while others are still trying to earn some education themselves. It's a bit out of balance of a system. But I guess that's how it goes.

And for what it's worth - your entry was fantastic last month, I enjoyed watching it progress to the winning entry and I will look forward again to seeing your work this month.
reidbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #9
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

I will show the final here and got more than enough material to learn new techniques from for the next months.
My personal goal was grow my skills, learn zbrush more and hopefully getting the 1st place once sometime.
I've reached this goal last month. I never thought about getting there that fast.

Now i am still participating to the challenges here in the Wip section (Because i like this forum) just for personal practice
and will post the final here in this thread and on my blog/site. Shure i really would like to know what Ryan Kingslien and
Alex Alvarez is thinking about it. But i will not submit for judging for a price. If others submit their work its fine too.
Not submitting it just my personal decision.

Shure the challenge will grow over time and maybe experienced sculptors from other places will join it.

Something diffrent:

As i said in serveral Threads, i would like to see much more work in progress Threads over here for learning
purposes because i really like to talk about and like to know how something was done, what are thumblestones
which one can avoid. I really had a lot of trouble with normalmaps and displacementmaps some months ago.
It took ages to find a well suited workflow between c4d an zbush. Maybe with some help of others it
could have been much faster.

Critique and hints are really important ... somethimes you stuck and others can help you out...
like the fantastic hint, that One Lung Lewis gave me above ... i did not recognize that before...
now i look from a diffrent angle on my work ... which is good because its a progress that was
just made possible because of One Lung Lewis hint.

Thank you that you like that entry and watching the progress. A Wip Thread is better than
every making of ... because you can discuss and ask questions... and see progress steps in "realtime"
Old 07-11-2009   #10
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Maybe open the jaw up a bit.. Rather than having the teeth clamped? So far it looks like a bit to static - perhaps offset the teeth so they're not perfectly aligned - apologies if you'd already considered this
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote