This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-07-2009   #1
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Default Rage WIP

Hello - this will be my Rage [July] WIP section.

After much deliberation with the subject title - i'm going to do what I was initially trying to avoid! A clichéd angry man! This idea is to portray a fighter frozen in a moment of pure aggression/rage.. i've been playing a fair bit of Fight Night 4 recently and there's always a Streetfighter tournament going on here at work.. so i've taken inspiration from these. I've deliberately deformed the proportions - big hands/feet to add some character.

So it's not the highbrow, subversive subject matter I originally intended but this is a sculpting challenge so I thought i'd get myself on with a dynamic,
asymmetrical pose to chew on. Like most people, I guess, I always sculpt symmetrically then pose afterwards, so this will be a little different [Although I
admit some early forms where symmetrical!]

I've taken some initial liberties anatomy wise in this early model to get some form in there - just to see if it's going to work basically. I need to look at some hand/arm poses and tie in a nice stand to embellish the 'story'.

I hope it will lead into a proficient sculpt - i've no idea how it's going to end up.. i've lots of words jotted down here.. muay thai, glove glass, bandana - scarification.. perhaps these will guide it's progression!

Cheers,
Chris
mkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #2
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Great start! ... i really dig the proportions he got. He is looking like a rockabilly guy
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #3
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Thanks! I'm looking into what 'props' I need to give the piece some edge.

I have some ideas, i'll be posting an update in the next day or so.. fingers crossed

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-09-2009   #4
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

I am really interested in what direction you will go ... kepp it up!
Old 07-09-2009   #5
one lung lewis

Awards Showcase

Awesome Sculpt so far. Really great anatomy. I like the distorted hand size as well.

One Lung Lewis
[url]www.onelunglewis.com[/url]
one lung lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #6
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Following on from ChrRambow's comments I decided to look further into the Rockabilly theme!

I hadn't realised there was a Japanese Rockabilly fan base - the things you learn whilst looking for inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LELD_V8ZvHw

Anyways, i've kept the characatured feel to the model and gone with hyper skinny legs, comb and cigarette!

I feel this might turn into a fun piece, just don't want to lose the 'Rage' angle - haha

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-10-2009   #7
Oiban

Very good!

Very well defined musclegroups, you have a very good anatomy knowledge!

hope you keep posting more images!
Oiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #8
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Your anatomy knowledge is really fantastic. I wish was that good on anatomy. Need to find some musclechart to pin it on the wall at my workspace.

He need some cigarette package wrapped in the shoulder-armpart of a muscle shirt ... the old cool way of transporting a cigarette pack
I hope you know what i've tried to describe.

And chains on the trousers for shure. How about some iron cross like seam on the trousers leg ... one of my leather throusers got this.

there are a lot of gothic and rockabilly clothing on xtrax.de

And some Music for reseach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJ2G...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi4D6ShX7SQ
Old 07-12-2009   #9
Grashock

Loving the rockabilly ideas. I was working last night with a play list from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. (not quite the same but there are more then a few similarities.)

On another note, I can't quite place what looks odd, but I see a strange twist on the left arm. Looks a bit over rotated. Of course this could just be the angle of the camera, but I can't seem to shake it. It's not so much that it is beyond the range of movement, but that it's on the border of what would be uncomfortable, making the relaxed wrist look strange. Other then that, the anatomy is fantastic, and your ability to sculpt the different groups is spectacular.
Grashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #10
mkyboy

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the feedback. ChrRambow i'll deffo look into the leather trouser angle - the material creates much more interesting forms than just the denim i'd envisaged. I just don't want to stray into a gothic look if you know what I mean.

BTW I know what you mean about the cigarette tshirt sleeve holder trouble is he'd be covered up then after i'd done all that muscle sculpting! haha

Grashock - you're right about the arm - i really need to decide what to do with the pose. I might have him arm/hand in a grabbing pose [like if he's got hold of someone/thing, ready to punch them

Looking forward to getting on with the new updates.. thanks again, Chris