This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-06-2009   #1
Grashock

Default WIP_Stairway

Kinda like doing these. Some of the feedback has been spectacular. So here's the next one. Decided to work from the inside out, on a clock/bell tower. I haven't quite decided if I'm going to do a shot from the inside or do a cut away type of effect. Heven't even decided if I'm going to do a clock or a bell tower. seems to me the clock tower could be more interesting, but I'm worried about cutting out the stairways by working in the gears.

In either case, I love good crits, so keep em coming.

Grashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #2
Grashock

Opted to go ahead with a clock idea. Simply because it provides the most interesting outcome. So here's the clock face as it stands. Modeled heavily off of Big Ben, with some slight alterations.

Old 07-06-2009   #3
Grashock

More progress on the clock face.

Old 07-10-2009   #4
Grashock

Some new additions. Building of the gears.

Old 07-10-2009   #5
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

Great! i dig that technical clockwork stuff! Keep it up
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #6
Grashock

Thanks for the comment.

Here's an update. Pretty sure I've settled on the camera angle and spacing. Still have some work to do on the gear support, and walls/roof to build.

Old 07-10-2009   #7
firankedul

Looking good Grashock. Can't wait to see it textured.
firankedul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #8
Grashock

Updates:

Finished the core modeling, still have to do something about the roof?
Started work on the gears metallic shader work (actually building UV's would take far longer then I'd like given the amount of geometry in each gear.
Added a large 'Notre Dame' type window to the top of the structure and added windows to the sides of the clock face.

Still have to build UV's/Textures for the walls/steps/columns etc. Also have to do the stained glass for the windows.

Old 07-15-2009   #9
Grashock

Started some of the wall texture and shader work. Still have quite a ways to go, and I'm still digging around trying to find a way to build the stained glass shader. Any one have any ideas?

Old 07-16-2009   #10
Grashock

So I've been running some tests on getting the stained glass to work the way I'd like, and this is what I have so far.

I'd like to get some of the color data onto the volume cube (fog) that I have placed half way through the sphere. I'd guess that there is some way of grabbing the color data from the photons to pass through and illuminate the fog, but I'm at a loss on how to acheive this. Any one have any ideas?