This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 06-15-2009   #1
davidosaurio

Default Gothic Beauty by David

So far most of my time has gone to research, there's a lot to see in Gothic art.
My idea is to mix a butterfly with the aspects of gothic cathedrals, and to show this "gotherfly" in an environment that shows the same style.
Here's my first photoshop sketch:

Before I got to this point I sketched different species of butterflies, to see which one would adapt better

My art history book came in handy to find some cool shapes. I considered making the body in the shape of a gargoyle, but that just wasn't working.

After looking at a billion butterflies i chose "the one" based on its wingspan silhouette, and managed to fit some stained glass designs in there:

So...I would love to hear what you guys think. This has been a lot of fun and luckily this month I have plenty of time.

Here are some of the things Im planning to do, tell me what you think:
- Very vertical layout, just like gothic art.
-Try to get some of the refracted caustics of the stained glass wings on the flower, thats the main reason i have the sun in the back.
-Im thinking the background should be blurry, simple and desaturated.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-16-2009   #2
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

This is a fantastic idea you got there!

... the caustics resulting of the backlit stained glass Wings will be fantastic.

Good Luck!
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #3
inNate

Awards Showcase

I agree, this is very good start. I'm looking forward to seeing the development.
inNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #4
Kagemusha

Wow, you did a lot of research; and you have some very good ideas going on. Hope to see more progress, good luck!
Kagemusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #5
davidosaurio

Default Me again

Thanks a lot guys! this has been a fun project!

here's what has followed

-I realized that I couldn't throw a gothic butterfly in a regular environment, so I created brushes to make the trees and branches, and hopefully represent a tall, elegant cathedral:

So, the wings are basically the protagonists of this piece so I've been spending most of my time on those. it was easier just to use illustrator to vectorize my skecth, and then stack the effects on top.

Here's the stage when I figured all the gothic features I wanted to see in the anatomy, and tried blending modes to get the stained glass to look dirty:

TODAY:
I really wanted to see those colorful beams refracted as caustics on something in the foreground, so next to the flower I added some thorns, then I started cleaning up everything started getting it ready for post. I blurred the background since it is a closeup.

About lens flare:
They look nice on back lit images but I nowadays they're too common, so instead I tried something different:
Created a new layer with noise. after tweaking and filtering I added some lens blur and got some neat floating particles:

A couple of hours ago I did some color correcting leaning more towards the purple scheme. Also, adding some film grain made everything more integrated and look more like a photo.

And here's what I have at the moment. I'm pretty satisfied but I would really like to hear what you guys think before I actually submit, so thanks for your time and I would be glad to see some of your WIPS as well!

Old 06-23-2009   #6
Grubber

Awards Showcase

Now thats somethink to stare at!
Tho I would like to see more colors. Other than that it is great!
Grubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #7
Pharion

Awards Showcase

fantastic work, love it
Old 06-23-2009   #8
ChrRambow

Awards Showcase

absolutely GREAT!
ChrRambow is offline   Reply With Quote