This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 12-06-2006   #1
yoshi_mazaki

Default my online portfolio...

...with some movie posters and experimental things...

www.tom-arthur-opasinski.com

also:
www.yoshi-mazaki.com - coming soon...

~yoshi

Last edited by yoshi_mazaki; 03-20-2007 at 01:36 AM.
yoshi_mazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #2
Chuck,Mate.

Awards Showcase

Visit Chuck,Mate.'s artstation

dude...........
are you serious?
you`re the guy that does these insane cool posters?
man, you`re like a god to me.
can you please tell us more about process, thechinque, etc`?
that`ll be very appreciated.
Chuck,Mate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #3
andreasrocha

wow

Impressive! I didn't know they all came from one person. I always thought it was done by some company.

If you truly did all those (which I still can't believe) I bow before you.
andreasrocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #4
gilberteaz

Default You must see Evolution images!

Great Stuff! I really liked the "Evolution" images. I liked watching the image sequence from the begaining of a poster concept and watching it evolve to the final poster. I pretty much buy every digital illustration, and computer painting, tutorial books I run across at my local book stores. And Illustration portfolio books from Spectrum and Ballistic. If you created a tutorial book from your Evolution images I would diffenantly buy it! You should really seek out a publisher to create a tutorial book. There really isn't that much on computer illustration tutorial books out there mostly illustration portfolio books. You would make tons of cash! Actually you motivaded me to free up some time this weekend to work on my own illustration skills. Again Great work!
gilberteaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #5
yoshi_mazaki

Default hi... :)

hi.. im at work now so my email is going to be really short..
ofcourse there are few agencies working on posters, i'm just one of the artists working there.. this weekend i'll try to put something together about HOW THE PROCESS LOOKS LIKE when were designing a poster...

thank you... have a awesome day.
~yoshi
Old 12-09-2006   #6
Rafael Rivera

cool man, I can't wait to read your process.

[CENTER][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]:D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Rafael Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006   #7
yoshi_mazaki

Default hi...

...to illustrate "poster-building" process i'll copy'n'paste part of an article for 2d artist magazine (issue 012):

Big campaigns - for an "A" category movies - start about a year or even two years before premiere. Most of the time a few agencies are trying to "solve the problem" - design a poster. Some agnecies "are strong" with comedies, some with dramas and some with sci-fi themes - Studios have to choose the "right agency" for each job. And it's not an easy job when the movie is in pre-production stage. Some Studios share only general idea about the project, some Studios deliver a script from the movie and some let us watch rough-cut before we start to work and brainstorm about poster and campaign. Those informations - from Studios - are confidential. Once again: it really depends on a project, it's stage in production or time left to premiere. Then, with Creative Brief an Agency gathers their "creative force" to brainstorm - to set up not just a look of the poster but all the aspects of the campaign... each little thing have to fit into marketing plan and have to be accepted by countless amount of people - ofcourse everyone have his own "five cents" and general idea how it (campaign) should look like. We have to VISUALIZE it also - and this is the tricky part. In meantime we (Agnecy) have to prepare a lot of things: sketch presentations, conceptualize, gather reference for projects (style, feel, treatment), to arrange special photoshoots - with actors, models or just props, create a logos (separate presentations simultaniously), establish a "feel" of the campaign and once movie is shot we can use a screengrabs also for our purposes. From this point work on a poster is divided into "presentations" where Agnecy prepares about 10-20 posters for each meeting with Client. Some Art Directors and Designers are assigned to particular job permanently and some work on it randomly - talent and style plays a big role here. Going back to "presentations"... each one of them is a bit different, sometimes full of "tweaks" sometimes we have to try "something new"... a different approach. Each "comp" (pre-poster) is created in scale so we don't have to deal with 2GB files each and every time. Once a "comp" is approved for it's final stage - it has to be rebuild at higher resolution and bigger size - usually: 27 by 40 inches. From there.. goes to the printer and... around the world. I've simplified this process a bit here. Sometimes we have to do few photoshoots, hire some additional artists - as I said, it really depends on a project and Studio where project comes from.

...and that's basically it... basically.
have a nice weekend.

~yoshi
Old 12-10-2006   #8
ximahmoud

Thumbs up

god damn awsome .. fantastic .. flawless .. beautiful work man

Last edited by ximahmoud; 12-10-2006 at 14:16 PM.
ximahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #9
Rabid Peanut

Exclamation

Rarely do students like me get to get a quick in depth synopsis of the process, many thanks to you man, any specific posters you designed completely yourself that we should look at in particular?

Last edited by Rabid Peanut; 12-11-2006 at 16:19 PM.
Rabid Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #10
balaji_san

Awards Showcase

Excellent!!! love your works.
Thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Balaji
balaji_san is offline   Reply With Quote