This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 05-18-2009   #1
Look to Life for Help

Default Control Room WIP: The Caged

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the Gnomon forums. I was very impressed and inspired by the images these challenges were generating, so I figured I'd join in.

I'm using Blender, Photoshop, and Yafaray. Blender is for modeling and post pro, Photoshop for textures, and Yafaray for rendering. There is a large mechanical monster and this room serves to imprison and control it.

Right now I'm blocking in the light and basic geometry. The monster and more detailed models will come later. In Yafaray I'm using GI, FG, and mesh emitters to provide lighting. I have a (mediocre)sketch that I may upload later when I get a chance to scan it. Even though the sketch isn't wonderful, it helps loads when laying out the scene.

All C&C welcome.

Peace
Look to Life for Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #2
Pharion

Awards Showcase

it looks a little too foggy, but a nice design so far, can I suggest you add a few gun turrets, and some more controls, with lots ans lots of cables
Old 05-20-2009   #3
Look to Life for Help

Thanks for the suggestions Pharion. It's nice to see a fellow Blender user around here.

I realized that the image was washed out and foggy because I the whole scene had a default gray, 100% diffuse reflective shader on it. When I darkened the material color and lowered the diffuse value, the lighting looked much better. A valuable lesson learned.

I have changed only the shaders and lighting, but I figured I would show it anyway. Next time I will reveal my character and go crazy on the scene detail. Wish me luck.

Cheers and God bless.

Old 05-26-2009   #4
Look to Life for Help

I know it's been a few days since I last posted any progress, but I have a couple other projects that require my attention. I have no renders to show at the moment, as I decided to use Luxrender instead of Yafaray. Luxrender delivers incredibly high quality and allows realtime tweaking of lights and camera settings, but it is also takes a long time to clear up the noise (it's unbiased). I finally scanned in the concept sketch I made, which doesn't resemble the current image very much. In case your interested, here it is.

Cheers and God bless.

Old 05-27-2009   #5
Look to Life for Help

Alright, after much work and lots of post-pro, I have a final image. I have included the version without post-pro, straight from the render, and the version with post production.

I used Blender for modelling and some post effects, Luxrender for rendering (I stopped it at about 9.5 hours), and Photoshop for textures and most of the post work. I got many of my textures from CGtextures.com.

Love to hear your responses.

Cheers and God bless.

Raw Render

Final Image