This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 04-15-2009   #1
dregoloth

Exclamation april 2d contest question

hey, just showing my wip for the contest. got a question though
I'm working from grayscale, and, as you can see the skin isn't working. how can I get the colors proper value, or should I submit grayscale version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimitri.jpg (26.3 KB, 536 views)
dregoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #2
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi Dregoloth,
if you work on Photoshop, try to paint your black on a greyscale picture, with black only. And then, when it is finished, copy-paste the final face onto your RGB picture.
The problem, on RGB and CMYK pictures is that the black (shortkey "d" in Photoshop) is a deep black, containing some cyan, magenta and yellow informations with the black.

Sample1: when you create a deep black to white gradient in CMYK, the grey values on this gradient seem to be yellow. That's because the % of the cyan, magenta and yellow included in the black are not the correct.

I will say that: only paint on the black channel, or work on a greyscale picture and copy-paste this on a RGB picture. Hope it is clear and hope It helps you.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #3
dregoloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpix View Post
Hi Dregoloth,
if you work on Photoshop, try to paint your black on a greyscale picture, with black only. And then, when it is finished, copy-paste the final face onto your RGB picture.
The problem, on RGB and CMYK pictures is that the black (shortkey "d" in Photoshop) is a deep black, containing some cyan, magenta and yellow informations with the black.

Sample1: when you create a deep black to white gradient in CMYK, the grey values on this gradient seem to be yellow. That's because the % of the cyan, magenta and yellow included in the black are not the correct.

I will say that: only paint on the black channel, or work on a greyscale picture and copy-paste this on a RGB picture. Hope it is clear and hope It helps you.
I work in gimp, however, if what you say is true (which I'm sure it is) I know a guy who would let me use his coppy of photoshop for coloring
thanks
Old 04-15-2009   #4
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi!
I think it is exactly the same thing in Gimp. If you cannot, try to reduce the yellow and the magenta on the black you use.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #5
dregoloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpix View Post
Hi!
I think it is exactly the same thing in Gimp. If you cannot, try to reduce the yellow and the magenta on the black you use.
great! thanks
Old 04-16-2009   #6
Gossioii5

Post A wonderful article

A wonderful article…. In my life, I have never seen a man be so selfless in helping others around him to get along and get working.