This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 02-16-2009   #1
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Default Dragon Fire: Digital Sculpt

Heres a WIP of my sculpt so far.

Base mesh done with ZSpheres. Thought I'd have a mess around with ZSpheres, as I've never really used them. Might look a bit messy but I just decided to knock something together very quickly and see what would happen. I also decided to mess around with some of the lesser used brushes.

Wings, Simple Base, and Fire to come.

C&C welcome

ZSpheres

Base Sculpt

Sculpt and pose test

Detail

Last edited by stinger88; 02-16-2009 at 14:30 PM.
stinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #2
JohnAnthony

Holy crap, that looks beautiful! Just on question...I don't use z spheres that much--why so many zsphere on the long bony protrusions(for the wings?) it looks really cool, I like that he's a little bottom heavy and the way you used the zspheres on the back to get those protrusions? I have to work more w/ zspheres!

I think it looks really great, and the pics are providing great food for thought.
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #3
artist_cg

this is really nice , keep it up
artist_cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #4
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Cheers guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
why so many zsphere on the long bony protrusions(for the wings?)
God knows why I did that. I just jumped straight in and started building really. I know now that I could have had a straight bar of zspheres over larger distances. I'm just not really sure how to do it. Maybe I should have looked into that.
Old 02-17-2009   #5
ledux

Oh my god. The entuziasm to finish my work is gone
ledux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #6
JohnAnthony

I think I've been way too precious with my zsphere count when I've attempted modeling with them. Really interested in seeing how you tackle the wings.
very cool model-
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #7
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Very good modeling Stinger! Love the textures.
Do you stop to use Maya?
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #8
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Cheers again for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledux View Post
Oh my god. The entuziasm to finish my work is gone
Don't give up so soon. I might spill ink on it and destroy my work
Remember a good idea is as good as a nice model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
I think I've been way too precious with my zsphere count when I've attempted modeling with them. Really interested in seeing how you tackle the wings.
very cool model-
I really didn't know what i was doing with the ZSpheres. I think doing it a more structured way is probably better. I have come across some dodgy verticies in my model. Which are a bitch to get rid of. These are there probably due to the fact my zspheres are close together. I think in future i'll be looking for some zsphere tutorials before I dive in. Although I do think that keeping it quick and loose adds to the organic shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpix View Post
Very good modeling Stinger! Love the textures.
Do you stop to use Maya?
Cheers GT. Haven't been in maya yet. All completely ZBrush. I'll probably do the base meshes for the other scene elements in maya then more zbrushing.
Old 02-18-2009   #9
stinger88

Awards Showcase

UPDATE:

Greater detail and more expressive pose.

The amazing Bronze material is Kraken CMT's downloaded from pixologic.com material library (Which i believe he created for some greyhounds he sculpted in a competition on another cg site. I may be wrong though). I love it because it really brings out the detail in none texture sculpts.

next step: addition of wings, base and flames.

Old 02-18-2009   #10
deakinduperly

hey stinger.. nice work.. one crit... the head.. it lacks expresion.. it's mouth is open but what ar u insinuating... is he mad, attackin, just opening his mouth... try looking at some mad dog pics to get some muscle work around the mouth, that help a bit more expression.. as well the eye brows.. great work... hope to see it finished...
deakinduperly is offline   Reply With Quote