This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 02-10-2009   #1
xxmaelstrom

Default New to 3D Modeling - Some Questions

Hey everyone. I'm looking to start 3D Modeling as a hobby. I used to work with 3D Landscapes in Terragen, but as of recently I've been more interested in creating interior and exterior designs using 3DS. My friend referred me to this website as a source of tutorials and learning material. I must say, from the Bios of the artists, I'm quite impressed. I'm looking to buy a few of the DVDs to get me on my way to doing what I want, but I have some questions first.

I am in no way artistic. I can't draw AT ALL. If you asked me to draw a person, I would draw you a stick figure. My question is...in order to do 3D Modeling, would I need artistic knowledge or background to start? I've been on DeviantArt before and I've seen some 3D Interior and Exterior models and these people claim to have NO artistic talent whatsoever, so I'm wondering if it's possible. I'd really like to pick it up as a hobby, so if someone could please help me out, that would be great.

It's just something I'd like to pick up in between classes and during spare time at college. Who knows, maybe I'll become good at it.

Thanks!
xxmaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #2
xxmaelstrom

Can't anyone answer my question?

I'd really like to know...
Old 02-12-2009   #3
JohnAnthony

Hey,
Yes it's pretty possible to work in 3d and not draw well. If you have a floor plan or know how high a doorknob is off the floor, what's to stop you from using the grid in Maya or other 3d app, and measuring those sorts of things out? Hours of figure drawing classes aren't going to matter.
If you are asking about designing interiors, as in creating something new than that's diffrent. I can draw cars...but it's hard for me to design a new one. But understanding proportions, sculptural principles, materials, flow lines and the sort are all important to have a harmony to the final piece. So no, if you're modeling off someone else's work, you can get by , by just being fluent in the program. that is no small feat.
If you want to create interiors from scratch, you may want to look into interior design classes or books or dvd that teach principals of design.
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #4
xxmaelstrom

Thank you! Yeah I imagine using references doesn't really take knowing architecture or interior design, but I'm sure creating your own takes a bit of knowledge. Though I'm sure one can get by with just imagination (which I've got )

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-13-2009   #5
JohnAnthony

you can also check out digital tutors website. THey havce some discs specifically on interior modeling and rendering(final output of the cg scene), and GNomon has some amazing stuff on design...look for James Clyne, Ryan Church, Feng, and the others....No disc will teach you everything, but you can get some great sketching/concept foundations off those. For getting a full grip , fast on a 3d program like Maya, nothing beats the Gnomon online intro class.If you can help it don't go go in cold though . If It's possible, study a little first, because the class is jam packedwith info on all areas of the program. Very good instructor too.
Old 02-13-2009   #6
xxmaelstrom

What is this website?
Old 02-13-2009   #7
JohnAnthony

digitaltutors.com for the modeling discs, for the desing oriented discs of Clyne, Church and Feng, check thegnomonworkshop.com site--that's actually this site, but not the fourm area, they have a section dealing with the dvds. You can also check Gnomononline.com...but it aint cheap, though it's worth every penny, so if you're coming at it from ahobby point of view it might be economic to check out the discs. Also check gnomonolgy.com...they have some free stuff, plus very economic tuts on ohter areas

good luck, J
Old 02-13-2009   #8
xxmaelstrom

Thank you very much. I checked out the DT Website and ordered several of their DVDs. I have also ordered several of the DVDs dealing with 3DS Max from this website as well. All together, I think I have 9 or 10 to watch. I should be well on my way within a few weeks .
Old 02-13-2009   #9
JohnAnthony

good luck, it sounds like your off to a great start. THe dvds are always a great investment. I've had some for years that I still go back and rewatch, for more techniuqes, or to give the creative engine a kickstart, or just a refresner-
John
Old 02-15-2009   #10
fatalerror

You don't have to be able to draw, but you should be artistic and have a good eye.
If your are just hobby molding nothing matters as long as your enjoying yourself ! !!
Once you start playing around you may find your more artist then you thought,
oh blue tiles might look better.
I think for organic modeling you have to be a artist to some extent anyways.
Image planes only give you so much info after that you have to know something about anatomy and make artistic choices .
If i hadn't taken figure drawing in art school my organic modeling skills wouldn't be 1/2 of what they are today (not that im god gift to CG or anything).
fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote