This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 01-29-2009   #1
Xsmoke

Default Edgeloop Termination

Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums, so i hope i'm posting this
in the right place. I have been struggling with edgeloops for way
to long. It seems everytime i try to create a good topology mesh
i end up with 1 or 2 remaining triangles, and everytime i try to fix it,
i end up with some spiral edgeloop effect.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for
edgeloop "DVD/Tutorials".
Thanks
Xsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #2
duhjin

I feel your pain. Heres some Ideas, there is a script called (spinFaces) this works on flowing geometry between two faces.

you should also look into converting 5,6,7,8,9-sided polys to quads.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rE9...um=1&ct=result

uses the arrow key its very touchy when scrolling down the page

one other way is using split polygon tool. I dont kno the best way to say this but here it go's
using the SPT make a triangle in the middle or on the vert area and delete the edge in the middle of the triangle
I hope this helps out I spent alot of time making this picture lol I am also some what new. So any other tips or tricks would help out

www.dominickfrederick.com
www.youtube.com/user/DFredericksVideos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helpingout.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	2454  

Last edited by duhjin; 01-29-2009 at 22:40 PM.
duhjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #3
Xsmoke

hey Duhjin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to create the images for me...
It does help out. i'm looking at the links you posted now.
I am really wanting to get in the groove of being able to
turn edgeloops and run in directions i want them to without
the fear of not being able to fix it.If i come up with anything
i will be sure to post it here also.Thanks again.
Xsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009   #4
JohnAnthony

Also understand, what the final goal is for the model. If you need edge loops on a model, to say, follow the musculature for the purpose of bending areas of the model after it's been rigged, in the process of being animated, you need to handle that carefully. And that will ensure those areas behave correctly when they are deformed. Check out a few of the dvds o humaniod modeling or human modeling, most will illustrate workflows that have good edgeloop strategies behind them.

If a model stays in Maya to be rendered, or whatever, a few tris are not going to be the end of the world. Really avoid n-gons, try to avoid verts that share more than four edges, lamina faces, t-geometry, that sort of stuff.

If it's for export to another program be aware of what the requirments are. some game engines only accept tris....

other times you may get some wiggle room if the figure is made up of seperate objects, boots for feet, gloves, etc. Use any options that those situations can provide.

Some edge looping also, is used to control the smoothing operations too, in terms of rounding edges.

So, you may have known a lot of this stuff, but hopefully this can clear up a few things for people starting out and not getting a broader understanding of what is meant by edglooping.

and remember, sometimes it really just ends up being a puzzle that takes time to solve. Thru practice you will get better and better.

Hope this helps & goodluck! --John
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #5
JohnAnthony

Hey, I was just thumbing thru my library, and dusted off Polyogonal Modeling by Russo. It's a pretty good book, with specific edge loop strategies and edge flow strategies for human anatomy...there's no magic bullet for this stuff, but this one is pretty good. It's zbrush section is a little old(v2ish)...
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote