This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 01-18-2009   #1
micyia

Default Deciding what 3d package to go for.

Hi, this is my first post in the forums. I recently stumbled on this website and it seemed like a good place to discuss, learn and get inspiration from.
I am a 2D graphic designer but due to work requirements had to delve into the world of web design (html, css) and 2d animation, After Effects.
While l enjoy doing what l do l always intended learning a 3d application but either that was my army duties or studying and working l didn't have the time and money to invest in buying and learning a 3d application.

I am mainly interested in 3d modeling and actually being able to pull off static renders of either landscapes or organic people. I not very interested in animation but it would be nice for the package to have some animation capabilities if l later decide to play with that as well.

What do you guys recommend. As l have said l have no experience with 3d programs but l am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance.
micyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #2
JokerFrown

Maya or 3ds max is the best choice in my opinion

most of 3d revolves around polygonal modeling and I think 3ds has more propper tools to handle and manipulate those.
The interface for it is superclean and it's easy to get to menus.
I recommend this one the most
this might be easier for you to learn

Maya handles polys very well too aswell as modeling with Nurbs which I think 3ds suffers from, only how it handles them though the result is the same.
The interface is cluttered with repeditive menus although it can be modified I still find 3ds to be more uniform

to choose between the 2 I think it's only preference
try out the Demos at Autodesk.com
JokerFrown is offline   Reply With Quote