This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 11-12-2008   #1
LumatDrake

Awards Showcase

Default Unmanned WarMachine WIP

Hi everybody,
here is my Wip thread for this month 3d contest...
I'm really having an hard time with this kind of modeling!!! I didn't think it could be so hard to do mechanical stuff!!!!
Anyway I am doing a humanoid war robot.... I started from the legs and this is where I got so far...

For the final image I am thinking about a (I am not sure about the english word...) brochure used to do some advertising like "the new warmachine XYZ.....equipped with.... only for..." (I hope you get what I mean)
If you guys have any suggestion let me know!!!!

I would also like to join the digital sculpting contest but this is taking me really a long time and I don't know if I can do both the contest.... (However it would be nice to leave for a while the robot and work on something else.....)

Lumat
LumatDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
OldDog

Looks good. in what program are you working when its so hard? xD
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #3
LumatDrake

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Looks good. in what program are you working when its so hard? xD
I'm working on Maya; I think the problem is just me and not the program hheheheh.....Maya works fine I think, even if it takes a long time to select/deselect vertices, faces and this kind of stuff.. also I have some problems with selecting the right object in the scene and not the one next to it (probably because of my graphic card/drivers/Vista64 on a notebook, I should go back to Vista 32 with some better drivers)....
Anyway it's quite hard to figure out how things may be connected in a robot or how it might look like (even if with some reference from comics or traditional paintings or pictures) in it's general appearance.
Old 11-12-2008   #4
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Are you working with nurbs?
I think you should make a quick model with polygons only, and convert (at final stage) in subdiv surfaces.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #5
LumatDrake

Awards Showcase

No, I am working in poly (it's just the "3" key preview ); yes, that's what I was thinking to do, to work in poly and in the end to convert into subd. But it's hard to model in poly trying to keep everything "smooth", switching from normal visualization ("1" key) to smooth viz ("3" key) all the time and adjusting everything so that in the end, when turning into subd or smoothing the poly, the model will look ok...I am also trying to have some details and it's even harder!!! LOL
That's how I am modeling this...If you have another workflow to share that will make my workflow quicker or even better, I am here ready to read and learn!!
Thanx
Old 11-12-2008   #6
markiv

LumatDrake, i love what you've one here. the design is original an' clean. The brochure idea is awesome! ( daymn ! why didn't i think of that!?). The Model looks very nice so far, what on earth makes you think you can't model hardbodies...LOL. My eye is on this thread. Good Luck.
Cheers!
Old 11-12-2008   #7
deakinduperly

hye lumatdrake there actually is a faster way instead of switching from the 1 to 3 keys... just create a "ghost" subd half and it updates automatically when modeling on your poly half... that ofcourse is if you're doing symmetrical figures... but it's the easiest and quickest way to get a preview of what your doing... then just delete the subd half, duplicate your ply half and then merge... and tadaaaaa you got your poly model ready for details in subd, zubrsh.. or which ever u wanna do.... hope it helps...
deakinduperly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #8
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakinduperly View Post
hye lumatdrake there actually is a faster way instead of switching from the 1 to 3 keys... just create a "ghost" subd half and it updates automatically when modeling on your poly half... that ofcourse is if you're doing symmetrical figures... but it's the easiest and quickest way to get a preview of what your doing... then just delete the subd half, duplicate your ply half and then merge... and tadaaaaa you got your poly model ready for details in subd, zubrsh.. or which ever u wanna do.... hope it helps...
This function is only available on maya 2008 and 2009? Not on 8.5. That's why I was thinking it was nurbs... i don't have the latest version. Damn!
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #9
LumatDrake

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakinduperly View Post
NOOOOOOOO! I forgot about that function!!!! Now I must try it (as soon as I get back on my model!!!)... Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it's going as soon as I get something new in the model!!!!

GTpix: I think they are available only from Maya 2008.... they are cool tools (both the 1-3 key and the ghost subd!!!!)!!!!

Lumat
Old 11-13-2008   #10
LumatDrake

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
LumatDrake, i love what you've one here. the design is original an' clean. The brochure idea is awesome! ( daymn ! why didn't i think of that!?). The Model looks very nice so far, what on earth makes you think you can't model hardbodies...LOL. My eye is on this thread. Good Luck.
Cheers!
Thank you Markiv!!!
I just don't have a lot of experience with robots, so it's an hard challange for me. However I am really happy I am doing this, in this way I can improve my skills and the next time it will be easier and faster!!!