This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 11-08-2008   #1
Vicktorious

Default WarMachine WIP

After spending the weekend sketching and modelling this morning, here's what I have so far.

My ideology here:

A remote front line destroyer. Designed to be able to travel quickly to a location and able to very effectively creep through most any terrain. 8 wheel drive to handle soft sand, soft mud, concrete, grass etc. . . The vehicle is split into a Forward Turret and an Aft Turret. Swivels in the center for pinpoint and tight turns. Engines are housed in between each set of tires encased in bullet and fire proof casings. Fuels will be held at the center near the swivel. Hydraulics power the main threats of the beast. Each Turret Pivots up down left and right for maximum angles.

Weapons so far: 2 tank barrels fixed to each side of the turret. 7 quick fire missiles located in the center. 3 30mm Apache style gun turrets controlled by 3 different gunners from remote location allowing the ability to track 3 targets with the actual guns. The forward Tank barrels and missiles are controlled by the "driver." Even though it is an unmanned vehicle, it will still require at least 8 controllers.

Scene will be the Destroyer patrolling through an urban city, turning a corner showing off its maneuverability. Unsure if I want the city to be destroyed yet or not. Anyways more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WarMachine1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1983  
Vicktorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #2
Vicktorious

Another hour or so.

Just been playing with different shaders to get a temporary camo appearance and playing with the low rider stance for when it's traveling to avoid the whole top heavy flipping while turning thing.

a bit higher res link.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5...achine2zf5.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WarMachineCruising.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1984   Click image for larger version

Name:	WarMachine2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1985  
Old 11-10-2008   #3
Pharion

Awards Showcase

You can get some great camouflage textures using Alchemy... nice work by the way

http://al.chemy.org/
Pharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #4
markiv

Hey Vicktorious,
Awesome concept there mate!...love it....but was wonderin' though....wouldn't the exposed wheels make the system vulnerable?
I was wondering if you checked out German ww2 armoured trains, instead of rails you could have a wheeled system. I wished i had this idea...Dayum!
Here's a link if you want to know more about them...

http://www.paradesquare.ca/railway/ww2.htm

cheers
Old 11-11-2008   #5
Vicktorious

Thanks guys for info and ideas.

Wheel protection is a concern atm, I'm just hitting a mental block on engine housings / mid connection. I'm spending more time sketching than modelling

Here's a little update.

but i have to ask an opinion of u guys. Should i make it not as long? shorten the length of the engine housings?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WarMachine4.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2007   Click image for larger version

Name:	WarMachine5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2008  

Last edited by Vicktorious; 11-11-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2008   #6
Vicktorious

didnt have a lot of time today, but here's a small update.

trying to decide how demolished the closer building is going to be, so i left it very incomplete. Decided to make it a medium sized, but rich community town for the building types. The back building will be structurally undamaged, but peppered with bullet holes and small breaks. On the left, up close there's going to be a parking lot (downtown city style), and a movie theatre on the back left. behind will be just random buildings to fill in the focal length. Craters in the road, destroyed lamp poles and stop lights and traffic signs still to come. new road texture etc. . . . hopefully will have a big update tomarrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WarMachine7.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2012  

Last edited by Vicktorious; 11-12-2008 at 18:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2008   #7
Vicktorious

A quick little scene update. Mostly happy with the front 3 buildings, but still need to do the back row. It's going to be a main street type building series like you see at the heart of a downtown, but next I'm probably going to go back to adding needed effects to the actual machine. Details to the engine housings, vents, dirt, hoses, grill, wheel covers etc . . .

I've never done lighting to much extent, espesually to the degree that this requires, so any tips and critiques are highly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008   #8
Vicktorious

So I was unhappy with the boxy look, so Fiddled around with a bunch of ideas and I think I found one that I want to build off of.

It's just very rough outlines atm, but now I know the design scheme I want on it and can actually do something worthwhile on it. Gunna spitball ideas and sketches for next few days and probably wont have an update till monday or tuesday since i'm scheduled 40 hours over next 3 days Please C&C appreciated.
Old 11-14-2008   #9
deakinduperly

personal opinion... add a moon light at least to give some help.. may be that this monitor sucks so it's all very dark to me...

the model it self seems very normal... looks weak as in weak spots, and that there are two huge pieces seperate make it really hard to manuevuer (sp) around corners and stuff... the texture i can't see it very good, monitor too dark... and the scene would be nice if it's in action to actually see some action... smoke, fire, shooting, just out of my head... diferent stuff... nice ambient sculpt and texts...

hope to see updates
deakinduperly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #10
purplemikey

Deakinduperly is right at some points
in my monitor it looks well (but in my GF monitor it looks dark...)
and it says war machine so maybe giving us some action to prove that this machine is a war machine
I know it doesnt look like a peaceful machine... but adding some explosions, rockets flying in the sky or anything to show that its an heavy machine built for destruction
purplemikey is offline   Reply With Quote