This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 10-30-2008   #1
Inspiredleaves

Default Is using reference cheating?

I have this big thing that if someone uses a picture to see what things look like such as a concept of a female in a pose they used from a picture is it cheating? I've seen plenty of people take a pose from a picture offline then use the same pose just a different sci-fi character. Same goes for digital painting such as painting a nature scene, people will pull colors from the picture and then use it to create a piece of concept art?

I don't know if its just me but i hate to use reference I believe that I should be creative enough without it...is it cheating?
Inspiredleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #2
Inspiredleaves

Default So..

So, 37 vies but no one will say yay or nay?
Old 11-03-2008   #3
neuromancer2

It's not really a yes or no question...although most people know when they have crossed the line.

There is no problem in using photos for reference. How else would you learn to draw the human form? It's no different than using anatomy books as reference. But when you start using others work, and incorporating it into your own, it starts to get kinda shady...that's why I avoid it all together and come up with my own concepts. But then again, there a lot of artists that I'm influenced by, and you can sometimes see it in my work...as with most artists.

Although, if you copy/reproduce an image, whether it be a photo, drawing, painting, concept, etc. without asking the original artist for permission, or giving them credit...then no, that is wrong.

Last edited by neuromancer2; 11-03-2008 at 09:30 AM.
neuromancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #4
Deathshroud

Default What I do.

I cannot say whether or not reference is cheating... however, I use Poser's basic anatomical male and female models to come up with my own poses. Then, once I have what I want; I use anatomy books to make sure my forms are correct as they offer better detail. I would say that if someone has an issue with thinking reference is cheating, to use Poser, as really, you would be creating your own reference that way. The bottom line I think is that copying verbatim is definitely cheating and common sense will always serve you well.
Deathshroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #5
Inspiredleaves

Default WEll

Thanks alot for your posts I do like to use pictures as reference for the female body, I asked my teacher and she responded...
While people are watching movies such as Wall-E or Toy Story (i'm a 3d artist), most people watching it or the company doesn't really care how it gets done, only when and how good the quality is.