This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 10-27-2008   #1
mdcat

Default Question on Chris Stoski technique

Hi Folks

I've watched the Chris Stoski DVD's - great stuff!

Can someone explain the steps involved in creating "premultiplied-with-black" images with alpha, that Chris talks about? What's the exact procedure from Photoshop to 3dsmax?

Trying to get rid of edge problems in my 3dsmax renders...

Thanks a lot
Mike
mdcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #2
space-sprayer

Im not a Max user, but to get your layers of painting with their alpha you should be able to (in photoshop) make a selection of the layer of painting, create a new transparent layer and fill the selection you have with black on that new layer. Then create a new white layer (completely white not just in the selection), and place this underneath the layer with the filled black selection. Merge these layers, and you now have the alpha for that piece of the painting.
As an extra step in between, after i have made the selection and before i fill with black, i normally contract the selection by 1 pixel just to get rid of any fringing when i bring it into Maya.

You may have to invert that alpha when you get into max depending on what value it reads as opaque and what value it reads as transparent, the way i have just stated is correct for maya, but may be the opposite for max.

Hope that makes sense and solves your problem.

Nick
space-sprayer is offline   Reply With Quote