This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 10-15-2008   #1
The Overseer

Default New rendering rig

I'm getting a new rig to replace my 6 year old P4 2.4 GHz. I want to use it mainly for rendering and modeling in Studiotools, Maya, NX, Maxwell studios etc. I'm a student though so I can't spend tons of money. This is the configuration I've set up so far (haven't bought anything yet):

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, P35, Socket-775, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9, PCI-Ex16

Processor: Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Socket LGA775, 1333MHz, 12MB, BOXED with fan

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM

RAM: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D 4096MB, DDR2,2x2GB(KIT),DHX,E.P.P, CL5-5-5-15-2T (x2, so a total of 8GB)

Power Supply: Corsair Powersupply 650W Black,ATX/EPS, 120mm fan, 8xSATA, SLI

Video card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDMI

The video card is what I'm unsure about. I'm getting it because it can apparently be softmodded to an ATI FireGL CAD card. On the other hand it's completely worthless for gaming (I mainly need the PC to render though). So I was wondering; is this the better choice or is it better to go with a more expensive all-round card, that would both run games and do good with 3D modeling software? I'm thinking mainly about hardware shading and such for e.g Studiotools.

PS

First post, so I wasn't sure if this was the right section. Sorry if it's not.
The Overseer is offline   Reply With Quote