This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 10-09-2008   #1
deakinduperly

Default Love is Dead

So I finally thought on doing a WIP, maybe this will help me finally finish a piece...

just the concept for the sculpt...

Cupid stabing his own heart on the floor with an arrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cupid'sHeart_concept.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1729  
deakinduperly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #2
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi Deakinduperly,
good start. Which method will you use for this? 3D? 2D painting? or traditionnal sculpting?
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008   #3
deakinduperly

I'm doing this for the Digital sculpting contest... will go for Zbrush mainly and place it in maya, then back into zbrush for detailing and maya again for renders... hopefully i'll finish this and get the ghost and ghouls contest also.. at least hand in something...

well, guess i better get those zspheres moving... gulp...
Old 10-11-2008   #4
deakinduperly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankingslien View Post
... He looks a little like he is stabbing his knee though. Watch your proportions for the lower leg. That may require you to tilt him forward a bit more....

Ryan
tnx for the crit.. i also saw that when i finished.. i changed the perspectives withought noticing... yeah the knee should look towards the camara a bit more... starting to make my zsphere model... a bit harder thatn i imagined cuz of the wings...

will show WIP in a few hours cheers
Old 10-13-2008   #5
deakinduperly

took me a while to update...

here's the zsphere model finally... had a bit of touble with the adaptive skin but finally had it solved...

i could have used an old body mesh but decided to go from blank insted... a bit more practice doesn't hurt...

with put up the base in a few
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (5.8 KB, 375 views)
Old 10-13-2008   #6
deakinduperly

Wink

mayor tnxz... after dealing with the skin for a while i've decided to go t bose instead and then in maya repose (would do it in zbrush if i had the new version...) so now back to fase one again lol

great tut ryan
Old 10-14-2008   #7
deakinduperly

Mr ryan great tnx again for the tut link. it help sooo much to finally understand the Zshperes... they look easy after your tut LOL great help for that head ache i was having...

so update the skin is now posed just gotta retouch some vertices and then true skulpting... TANtan TAN taaaaaan... that was supposed to sound mysterious...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pose.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1815   Click image for larger version

Name:	wireFrame.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1816  
Old 10-14-2008   #8
deakinduperly

k so far this is what´s happening... working out muscles and bones... damn i really need to study anatomy a lot more...

the wings not so sure how to approache it for the moment.. might do just the bones and then feathers seperatly or sculp the feathers.... going more towards the modeling part... although Mr. Ryan's tut for feathers seems tempting... will update in a few hours... got the day off

plz crit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wip1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1817  

Last edited by deakinduperly; 10-14-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2008   #9
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Hi Deakinduperly,
I think you should add more details on the anatomy before to sculpt in Zbrush. What I do when I'm not sure, is to transform polygon to subdivision surface and add more details. then re-do a transform subdivision to polygon without any changes on the topology. hope it helps.
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #10
neuromancer2

Hey deakin,

It's actually looking fine for your first pass.

I start out by sculpting the basic shapes in the first sub-division pass. Once I get the basic shapes in, and I am happy with how they look, I repeat the process, adding more and more detail, up to about 6 sub-divisions...or whatever your computer can handle.

The only thing that looks off at this point would be the legs...they look stubby. As far as reference, if you don't have any sort of anatomy book, just Google "kneeling" (or something along those lines) and you will be able to find some decent reference images to get you on the right track for those legs.

keep it up!

Last edited by neuromancer2; 10-14-2008 at 10:20 AM.
neuromancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote