This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 10-06-2008   #1
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Default 3D: Ghosts & Ghouls - WIP -10/08

FINAL IMAGE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought i'd do a WIP thread on this months 3D image challenge. Wasn't sure where to put it so here will do.

I'm doing a self portrait model then i'm going to Zombify myself and make myself horrible. (An easy task with my looks!)

I'm going to do a fairly high poly base mesh. Then Zbrush all the detail. The focus of this entry will be on skin detail and texture. As i plan the final image to be fairly close up and in your face!

Anyway. Here's the first picture to get things rolling.

C&C is highly encouraged as the project progresses.

Base mesh:

Last edited by stinger88; 10-30-2008 at 13:50 PM.
stinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #2
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

looking good so far...

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #3
montyband

Thumbs up Thumbs up

Looks like great start to me, nice edge flow!
montyband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #4
stinger88

Awards Showcase

thanks guys.

Update: continued mesh build. tried to keep edge flow neat. Still a bit tweaking to do...Then I'll start on the ears....AAArrrg!...I hate ears.

Old 10-08-2008   #5
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Good start Stinger!
If you don't like ears, just pull them up. I think there are lots of monsters who do not use their ears. They feeeeel fear in the eyes of their victims

For me, my sketch is ready and I will start the hi-res models before the end of the week. for sure, there will be lot of zbrush, maya and photoshop work!
GTpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #6
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Cheers GT.

I think i've nailed the ears though. Actually wasn't that bad to do them. I'll probably have one hanging off or something in the final image.

I've been thinking of how to present the final image. Will do some thumbnails later to get some ideas. I also need to think what type of zombie I want to be. i.e. Slow moving (resident evil), Fast zombie (28 days later), mutated zombie...etc etc.

UPDATE: Opened mouth so that teeth will be showing, also it will be easier to tranpose the face. As I think thats how i'll be giving expression to my face. UV's to map next then Mesh almost done and sculpting can begin. I will model my head realistic and as it is now. Then i'll make changes to zombify later.

Old 10-12-2008   #7
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Great modeling Stinger!
If you open slightly more the mouth, I think it would be great to reduce the lips, or make them drier. Zombie have no blood or water in their body. like an "écorché" (french word, i don't know how to translate it).
Would like to see the final soon!
Old 10-12-2008   #8
stinger88

Awards Showcase

écorché is the correct word. Its a drawing, sculpture, etc of humans or animals without the skin. To show muscle groups and skeletons, etc.

When I model the head into a zombie I expect i'll be making it thinner and withdrawn due to lack of BRAAAIIINS...... to eat. I want to have the mouth wide open so that I can model the inside of the mouth. With a discoloured tongue and rotting teeth, etc (like my real mouth when i'm hungover, so i've got plenty reference )
Old 10-12-2008   #9
GTpix

Awards Showcase

Wish you don't have the tongue like you say!
I wouldn't be near you when you're hungover!, or in the same state!!
Old 10-12-2008   #10
stinger88

Awards Showcase

Just put this together to help me make some decisions on the zombifying process. I think i'll be going for the more traditional slow moving zombie. And not too badly decomposed so that my face is still recognisable. Although I do prefer the scarier fast moving zombies. They are basically just red eyed and discoloured skin with blood around their mouths so I could do this in the modeling stage as a tester anyway. My favourite is the blue skinned zombie model at the bottom of the mood sheet. With dried up skin and a glazed look. As i want my image to be very close up so that detail can be easily seen I might have to go for the zombie type circled in green. With flesh missing and horrible skin also bloody dripping from the rotting mouth.

Anyway. Thumbnail mock ups next to get the composition going.