This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 06-14-2008   #1
Shawhir

Default Dare To Be Digital - Normal Mapping Problem

Hey folks,
I must say I'm impressed with the work here - I heard about this place before but my time for final year and my intention to get a 1st and enter Dare To Be Digital made it slip from my head. I was advised by lecturers to go here for my 3D modelling... now I am and now I am at your good people's mercy!

I'm in the Dare to be Digital competition - from Outer Box Experience - have a look here at the games being made if your interested - http://www.daretobedigital.com/team-information/.

Now I have been trying to Normal Map Characters for my game to bring down the polygon level... but something isn't right and I am not of enough experience to know and sadly time is of the essence.

When I project my High Polygon Character (9,163) onto my low polygon character version (2,452) it doesn't come out smooth at all. Small black dots appear throughout the .tga files (Normal, Diffuse, Complete, Specular) and I don't understand why for the life of me what is up.

I have spent the day trying to figure this out through tutorials - but to no avail. I can do normal mapping on simple objects, but on the character - it aint happening.

Please - can anyone give me a hand? I'd really appreciate it.
Shawhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #2
deakinduperly

First of all r ya using Maya o Max?
second. ra ya using the zbrush normal map?
third. u smoothing out the characters normals?
fourth. check render settings
fith. try another extension .tif for example

don't know what else for now... good luck

o try on another comp if this doesn't work sometimes the settings form idn?'t know which part or y r different and they render ok... it's happened to me before on some comps.. must be the settings somewhere...
deakinduperly is offline   Reply With Quote