This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 05-31-2008   #1
DColonna

Default My First Try with 3D Software

Hello all,

I have been wanting to learn a 3D program for many years. I recently heard that one of the local community colleges offered an intro Maya class, so I took the three month class last semester. Here is my final project which was my first real attempt at a fully rendered 3D image.

I am in the process of rendering my second for the latest Weaponized monthly contest.

I would love some feed back, there are some things that I want to change, I just have not figured out how to do them yet. Image was made with Maya and Photoshop (textures only).

Thanks,

Dan

DColonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #2
lclemmons

I'm fairly new at this myself so my comments may not be at the level you're looking for. Since no one with more experience has chimed in for you I thought I'd give it a shot. It's much better than my first attempt was. That being said..

I think most of what makes the image flat is lighting issues. Try using light from behind to create a rim of light that will make your objects pop out from your background.

I'm also a little confused as to where your actual light source is coming from. The bright parts of the wall make it look like it's coming form low on the right off camera. The shadows don't seem to match that to me.

I'm too new at this to be able to tell you exactly how to solve this but one possibility would be to use your primary light source as just that.. a light source. Don't let it cast shadows. Use secondary lights to create shadows and a negative light to darken the corner of the wall a little bit.

Once you solve those issues the other small things will probably jump out at you. I always have trouble figuring out when to stop tweaking and declare my image finished. I consider most them "abandoned"

Laura
lclemmons is offline   Reply With Quote