This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-18-2008   #1
dyei

Default how can i do a omnidirectional lightning bolt?

hi, i was wondering how can i make a lightning bolt in maya, i know the "create lightning effect" in maya, but it seems to work only beetween 2 or more nodes, and i want some kind of source emiting lightning bolts to everywhere. anyone knows how can i do that in maya?

i saw how maya lightning bolts are built from extruded nurbs and curves, but i think that i will have to make it trough mel programing if i dont find a practical solution.

i want to add these omni directional lightning bolts to this guitar i made....

dyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #2
Marthais

I was just trying to figure out the same thing, albeit in Maya PLE... I'm not so sure that you can create what you are looking for in Maya without using a custom addon or making your own effect, but the best results I've had so far have been with the Max Spread attribute in the lightning effect...maybe put Thickness up some depending on the scale of you (amazing, by the way) model... I'm not the greatest at maya, so this may very well be untrue

Good Luck with your guitar

Edit: I just remembered, that you can create the nodes for the lightning and delete them later, just used some small cubes or soemthing...

Last edited by Marthais; 05-06-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: remembered
Marthais is offline   Reply With Quote