This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-18-2008   #1
aurongx

Default Drawing material question

Hi, I saw part of David Finch's tutorial at a friends house and I think it's just amazing. It came to my attention that he is drawing on a large white surface like a pad or something. He even used it to stick his compass and I observed that this is something that is on top of the desk his drawing on.

I've seen this same large white surface on most of your tutorials demos.

Is this a sktechpad or what is he using?

Thank you.
aurongx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #2
DeSoto

Yep, your guess was 100% right, all the guys in the analog section who are into sketching use some sort of pad, e.g. Scott Robertson seemed to prefer Borden&Riley back when the lessons were shot.

If you happen to live in the U.S. give it a try, they produce some good and affordable drawing media, though any other quality brand will do as well.

On rare occasions some artists might use a slightly different surface, like vellum, to get certain effects (in that case see-through and bleeding of colours).
DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #3
ClaireM

It depends on the kind of texture you want. I like the soft approach and use an art pad or pile of papers, but if I need a hard or rough effect then I will use a piece of wood, or just a hard surface.