This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-14-2008   #1
mATTEO

Talking lookin' for answers...

hello everybody...i'm new here...nice forum btw...and nice DVDs!

i'm here lookin for some advices about a new PC to buy...

provided that i'm already into Autocad, Rhino, Photoshop and Illustrator (i'm student in Industrial Design in Turin -Italy-) i found theese new programs (Maya, 3dsm, Alias, mudbox, ...) stratospheric! ...but they can't run on my actual machine...
assuming that i'm also kind in playing games (wow, cod4, car simulators).

i'd like to build up a one-size-fits-all-PC...or find something nice on www.ebay.de, could you please take a look in there and tell me the best offer you can find for modelling, rendering, animating and also playing?
could have 2 different options of budget, depending on some issues...
MID-LOW: 700?
MID-HIGH: 1400?
could anyone advertise the best for those price ranges?

thanks a lot and keep the good work up with the DVDs and forum!!!
mATTEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #2
fatalerror

try looking on CGtalk you should find quite abit of info on comps and hardware .
also check out there render benchmarks to get a good idea of price vs speed.
best thing is to have a gaming/internet comp and a Workstation with no games no internet and a pro video card .
thats my setup.
better yet would be 2 workstations 1 optimized for modeling other for rendering.
fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #3
mATTEO

thanks for the fast answer, will do...the only thing now is...i really need just one pc...i don't have a lot of money to spend in it, and tbh i still have a lot to practice before investing such a lot of money in 2 or better3 specific machines...it's already too much by now having a notebook for university lessons and a pc at home...will take a look to that www to find out more

one more question, for both cad and photoshop...wacom intuous3 in A4 or A5?

thx again!
Old 04-16-2008   #4
DeSoto

Talking A5 Wide FTW!

Hi there,

taking into consideration that widescreen displays are on the rise in both sectors (notebook/desktop) I would highly suggest that you get yourself an A5 Wide.

A5 because it is still portable and you could carry it with you for the classes.

Regards
DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #5
mATTEO

well, thanks...
just some more...I think that for quite a long time (2-3 years) i won't be using any widescreen display...got a 20"hp on this "old-crap" and will keep it for the next rig...and a 15,4" on the laptop...both of them are 4:3...
would a A5 wide format influence the vertical proportion badly or would it be the same?....let me explain...

would a circle O traced on the intuos3 A5wide become a 0 on the not-wide monitor? if O--->0 this would cause some troubles i think
Old 04-16-2008   #6
DeSoto

You can easily adjust the working space of the tablet to a 4:3 ratio, so no hassle there...of course you could resize a regular A5 to widescreen proportions as well, but you would loose some drawing space that way.

So from my point of view the Wide version would be the better deal (given the fact that the wide version is only 50 bucks more here in Germany), leaving room for future "upgrades" . A5 works perfectly for my 22" HP w2207 btw, I am pretty sure it would work just as well with a 24".

Regards

Last edited by DeSoto; 04-16-2008 at 13:05 PM. Reason: adding important stuff
DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #7
mATTEO

Thumbs up

I kept asking also in CG on this thread...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...24#post5091624
i'l definitely get a A5wide...seems a cool and quite definitive product up to 24"...thanks for help...now the thread can go back to new rig's hardware configuration....
thx a lot mates!!!!
Old 12-15-2014   #8
huezang

try looking on CGtalk you should 70-411 pdf
find quite abit of info on comps and hardware yes I can provide to you contact
huezang is offline   Reply With Quote