This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 11-02-2006   #1
nomo81

Default Fx in the tv series?

why the fx always are so bad in the tv series?
example: Lost (i love this one) have very crappy fx, the black dinosaur fog.
Why dont use matte painting or good 3d to do best scenes?
And why the movies (war of the worlds, mi3, etc) have great fx, its not the same work?

Regards
Ignacio
nomo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #2
kanooshka

I think it's because they don't have enough people or time to do it, especially since they do a new one every week.
kanooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #3
CubePusher

Awards Showcase

I think its more likely to be budget restrictions, TV shows always keep the purse strings tighter because they need to stretch their budget over some 24 odd episodes and will usually do so with a fraction of the funds that a big studio movie would have at their disposal.

Although I don't think i'd hold up "Lost" as an example of bad special effects, the times i've noticed matte paintings they've been pretty damn good as well as everything else.

I've seen feature films with far more unrealistic effects, Matrix Reloaded comes to mind when Neo is fighting the Smith's in the playground and jumps up and does that spin thing. The first Spiderman movie where he rescues mary jane and she looks at him while their swinging through the city. Both times an infant could have seen that Neo was computer generated and Spiderman was some kind of dummy.
CubePusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #4
nomo81

ok, ok , lost its a bad example, the first episode have great fx like the plane crash, let see......... charmed!!! this one haver very very very , but really very crapy fx.
nomo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #5
maxmax003

Default the money

all is cuz the money, the movies has millions for just 1 hour and a half, ant tv series has less than the movies for a hole season
Old 11-15-2006   #6
mike0006

Alot less than the movies.
mike0006 is offline   Reply With Quote