This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 04-01-2015   #1
AJUK

Awards Showcase

Default Star Trek Starship WIP

For this months 3D contest I decided to model a variation on the Starfleet ship, I was always taken with the design used in 'Starship Voyager' so I wanted to create something similar.

I sketched out a few design doodles and thought I would use a shape based loosely on the Starfleet badge, I felt the pointed shape would be more interesting than the classic dish of the Enterprise.

The model was constructed as a low polygon shape and then meshsmoothed, this is the first time I have really tried modelling using this method.

I worked on half of the ship then duplicated and flipped it to create the other half. The detail is mostly added in the texture - apart from some underside detail using Klanky's greeble script.

I used Quixel Ndo to generate the normal map and specular maps, then rendered the ship ready for final comp in after effects.

The rocks were created using the debris maker script and the lens flares are a video co-pilot plug-in. The nebula and starfields were created in photoshop using techniques suggested by Luke Ahearn.

Last edited by AJUK; 04-01-2015 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Spelling.
AJUK is offline   Reply With Quote