This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 05-24-2018   #1
Amonite

Post Best portable display tablet to buy for under $400?

I've used a WACOM Cintiq for about a decade, but it recently broke. It's still usable, but there's about a 4inch band of the display screen that no longer works. I think I can work around it, but I rarely get time to go upstairs and use it as it is as I am a busy mom with two kids. My husband suggested that I get a second, cheaper, more portable display tablet that I could plug into my laptop downstairs or even take to the park when the kids get older for sketching on the go.

I'm pretty sure I would prefer a Display tablet so I can see what I am working on directly, even though those are more expensive. My max budget is around $400. I'm looking for one that is portable (thin/light to some degree, not too fussy to set up although some wires are fine. I'd like it to be compatible with at least Adobe Sketchbook Pro, Zbrush, Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop, and at least one free graphics program (GIMP, Sai, Kirita, etc.) that can support layers. For space to work I would like something between about 11 and 16 inches - large enough to draw freely but small enough to be easy to move if needed. I'd like to err on the side of better pressure sensitivity and minimal/no parallax, and to have a couple express keys although I don't need that many. I don't really mind if a pen needs charged or needs new batteries. I use Windows. I don't mind if I have to take my laptop along somewhere to plug the tablet in as my laptop is pretty light.

A couple ones I'm currently evaluating are the GAOMON PD1560 15.6 inch IPS HD Art, XP-Pen Artist15.6 15.6 Inch IPS, and XP-Pen Artist13.3 IPS 13.3-Inch.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts? Are there any non-WACOM brands I should avoid, or any that particularly stand out?
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018   #2
Sammy

I don't have any good recommendations, cause I haven't bought another drawing tablet since my first one broke a few years ago... no more time for drawing... but have you also thought about tablet PCs like Microsoft Surface? They seem to be pretty decent for drawing but also have other functionalities and are usually very light. Also, you can usually just try them out in phone/tablet stores.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #3
Amonite

I've thought about it, as they definitely look convenient, but I don't think a Surface Pro in my budget range would have enough memory for all my art programs. I'm not sure how the pen sensitivity and resolution compares, either.
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote